Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Carrying a skyliner?

Hi,

I have bought a used skyliner 200p dob and was wondering whether carrying it whilst fully assembled is OK or would it damage the bolts/threads/handles over time? I would only be taking it in and out of the shed and walking it a few yards.

Thanks.

Congrats on your purchase; the 200p is a fine telescope. Absolutely fine to carry; just make sure the alt bearing handles (those side handles).are tightened to stop the tube from moving about and be careful with not jolting the scope -mirror alignment (collimation) holds pretty well with the 200p but knocking it about can cause the mirrors to misalign.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CHRlS said:

Hi,

I have bought a used skyliner 200p dob and was wondering whether carrying it whilst fully assembled is OK or would it damage the bolts/threads/handles over time? I would only be taking it in and out of the shed and walking it a few yards.

Thanks.

The handles are designed for carrying them. I do it with my 200P and 250PX. Never had an issue. But, like Beulah says, make sure they are tightened properly.

• Thanks 1

I always carried mine in two parts for a couple of reasons; I had four steps and about 5M of uneven paving to traverse plus I am very good at finding trip hazards 🤦‍♂️ enjoy your new telescope 👌

• Thanks 1

Same with me while l I had an 8" dob. I'd always take the base out first and then the OTA. Yes, I could lift the two together but I wouldn't trust myself not to trip over the step and drop the lot. 😉

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

There’s some discussion about this here.

Personally I prefer to carry the OTA and base separately. In fact I fitted a handle to the OTA of my Skyliner (although I do have a homemade base) in order to make it even easier to carry.

I guess it comes down to personal preference and circumstances. Eg I have a dodgy knee - it’s not the weight but the awkwardness of carrying the whole thing. And I often use an EQ platform & it’s easier/quicker for me to plonk the base onto the platform without the OTA. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M40 said:

I always carried mine in two parts for a couple of reasons; I had four steps and about 5M of uneven paving to traverse plus I am very good at finding trip hazards 🤦‍♂️ enjoy your new telescope 👌

Speaking as someone who just last night accidentally walked straight into their own tripod in the garden, I always do the same!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M40 said:

Come to think of it I'm good at finding trip hazards too