Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

pete_n_pugs

Thought I'd say hello as I've been lurking for a while. I've got a 130 flex tube, which I hadn't used for quite a while. That had prompted me to try astrophotography, but I failed at that, even with fairly decent kit (iOptron CEM25, WO ZS61, guiding etc). I was also suffering from lack of sleep due to staying up to try and get it all to work, then processing images. So I sold it on - which I do regret, but it was probably the right thing to do at the time. Fast forward a few years, and I got my dob out again, and had several really enjoyable nights looking at Jupiter and Pleiades. This prompted me to get some better eyepieces, then I ordered the Explore Scientific 'Ultralight' (its not really) 10" Dob. My plan is that I will stick to visual as I can (in theory) pop out for an hour or so, and actually see something in that time. I can also pack it all away reasonably quickly, and transport it to a better location relatively easily. I live in the middle of Windsor, with a small, walled garden with light pollution, but I'm still managing to enjoy myself, and look forward to going somewhere darker soon. I'm finding the forum a great resource, but need to resist the temptation to spend too long reading and not observing, and also not to succumb to GAS (gear accumulation syndrome). Any advice on the latter would be appreciated! I'm trying to focus on things that will make my viewing more enjoyable and less frustrating, but at the same time I want to learn to navigate the sky without resorting to a go to - yet. And I do want to do some imaging, but again I need to remember the frustration that can cause. Anyway, enough rambling for now!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Pete.

The best way to avoid GAS (gear accumulation syndrome) is to stay out of imaging, it's a rabbit hole that gets deeper and deeper 😄 Seriously though, if I were you I'd just enjoy taking my time under the stars for now, get to know the sky using a sky atlas and get to know your scope and eyepieces and every now and again just look up with your naked eye and take it all in. When I've been observing recently I've been taking little 5 or 10 minute breaks from the scope and just enjoying the stars and working out what constellations I can actually see from my back garden. So far I've been lucky to see half a dozen or so meteors in these breaks and 2 or 3 of them were really bright ones.

Welcome! I agree with Glafnazur, if you're using a dobsonian then you have protected yourself a little from imaging costs simply because you can't autotrack without spending a huge wad! Planetary and lunar imaging can be done somewhat cheaper without guiding.