SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recording Observations

MalcolmM

I've just logged a double star report. My observing notes were made at the eyepiece using a red head torch and pencil and paper. I find this awkward enough switching between eyepiece and pencil and paper while turning off and on the torch and trying not to kill my night vision. Luckily the night was dry so the paper did not become damp. I guess I could use voice recording on my phone. Does anyone have any tips on recording observations in scenarios where you want to keep your night vision intact or on nights when the humidity is high and logbooks become damp?

Malcolm

I've three.

The modern hi-tech way is voice recording.

The old fashioned way is waterproof "paper" and a wax pencil. Most anything can be used as a writing surface - a piece of formica, transparency slides (remember them?), plastic chopping boards, ...

The really old fashioned way is to call out the observations to an assistance who records them for your. If it worked for William Herschel, ably abetted by Caroline, it should still work today. You might have problems finding an assistant, though speech to text software might be good enough.

For either of the first two you still need to transcribe the results in a warm, dry and lit environment.

Edited by Xilman
  • Thanks 1

I recommend a small "really useful box" as combined dew protection and small desk Malcolm.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/412840-clipboard-alternative/?do=findComment&comment=4405505

I also use a red head torch and would like something dimmer but haven't found anything yet so can't help there. I'm considering a pirate patch approach to protect dark adaptation in my observing eye at least. I'm not sure if it will work yet or work very well while also juggling with reading glass 🤷‍♂️

Edited by josefk
  • Thanks 1

There isn't really an easy solution to this. I use an artist sketch book with thicker pages. This seems to resist any dew or dampness quite well. Any light will reduce dark adaptation but if you have moderate LP it might be a challenge in general.

One thing you can do is get the red plastic that people use on their laptops when imaging and if possible find a way to attach it Infront of the red light torch. It may make it too dim but is worth a try.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Xilman said:

The really old fashioned way is to call out the observations to an assistance who records them for you

If you were working at a site where you could make noise, this would be gloriously old school. If you weren't lucky enough to have an assistant, there might be an opportunity for astronomy-literate stenographers at the other end of an Internet connection, somewhere in the world.

I know a tech solution isn't right for everyone, but I have found the Microsoft Swiftkey keyboard in Android to be quite effective in predicting my next words, when I'm writing up observations in SkySafari. It is a bit circular, and re-enforcing: the more often I type "a little less scatter seen in the Morpheus 6.5mm", the more it will suggest it.

I control the brightness with a combination of screen reddening and a physical filter made from a spare phone case and red gel sheet. At very dark sites, I might need more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So far, I am just using a regular journal for note taking and observing.  I have a smaller cheap headlamp that had 2 brightness levels. I covered the lens with about 3 layers of red surveyors tape. I agree that having it on my head isn't ideal, so last time out I hung the strap off the diagonal. Since I use a stool, it put the light at about the right place for me to use the journal, but I could block it from the eyepiece. You might try that.

Clear Skies!

• Like 2

I use a voice recorder when I want to recall good quality notes, amd I listen back to that and write up the bits I want to write up.

I had a cheap one from amazon that had the benefit of a tiny red light on it that flashed when it was recording so I could tell if it was recording or not and I didn't get night vision problems.

Since that broke I use the voice recorder in my phone. This is a much worse solution with more faff plus  all the light a phone puts out, but I have so much light pollution anyway that it doesn't really matter 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I started back in the hobby, I kept written notes in a bound notebook.  But that was a pain because it added to the things I had to take outside and I often misplaced the notebook, so I stopped.

Then I realized I really wanted some kind of observing record so I took notes using the voice recorder on my phone.  But transcribing them, especially when I was mumbling or there was background noise, was a hassle.

Soooo... I started using SkySafari, but that added another layer of techno jiggery so I went back to written notes.  But... I didn't always feel like taking written notes.

Now I type notes into the Notepad app on my phone since I always have my phone with me, email them to myself, and then copy and paste the email content into a Word file.   I assume Word's search function will be a good thing if I ever want to look something up.  The downside is any sketches still have to be done with paper and pencil and then scanned in I guess.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

if you're a Android user,  the DSO Planner app (various versions exist) has a built in voice recording capability as part of its observing list functionality.  This allows you to link your recordings directly to the targets. 

I'm pretty sure that neither Sky Safari nor Stellarium have this direct connection to audio recording available.  

You'd have to work out your voice to text process at a later date.  

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Most of my records consist of sketches with minimal notation, and to keep well dark adapted I use a variable brightness red torch, but always keep the light source shielded with my hand that's holding the sketch book so I can't see it directly. The light shines across yhe page rather than directly onto it from above.

post-41880-0-04521600-1433081242.thumb.jpg.308a46e29b970c5d58e853b629cd2a75.jpg

• Like 5