NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Dummy Batteries

As the thread title…does anyone use one of these? With the longer (and cooler) nights now upon us, I’m changing a battery every few hours and it’s become tiresome.

I haven’t worried up to this point, but now I’d much rather be able to leave the setup going without this inconvenience.

This one would work with my DSLR’s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SVYWRCN/ref=emc_b_5_t , but I’m concerned as to whether these are suitable for the dew filled nights now upon us? 

Never really had a problem with them but I use a USB version normally. Mains adaptors, portable 12v batteries, usb power banks left on the floor on top of something exposed to the cold even freezing conditions, no issues. I do normally cover them though, even loosely with some sort of shield, stops them from dewing.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I used to use one with my Canon 600D and no issues. To stop dew when  I use my set up, I put an old plastic box placed over the extendable waterproof socket. (the lid of the socket doesn't close properly because one of the plugs for my usb bank is a bit bigger) This keeps everything dew free. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Not had good experiences with them. A couple of budget dummy batteries failed or broke after a few sessions and would also cut out during use. The Canon ones are expensive & guess I’m worried they would also prove unreliable. Opted for a battery grip in the end. Works for my set up but grips can be awkward (balance issues or protruding). 

• Like 1

I would apply the same precautions to this device as many other devices of little known provenance.
In this case risk of wrecking a camera that is 10x or the value of the power supply is added to the usual performance and shock risks.

The amazon description is, like that of many of their offerings, a fairy story.
Is that rosh or rohs approval🤔There is a lot more!

By all means buy one. It is after all a free return if it is obviously not right.
Once you have the kit in front of you, the manufacturer is identifiable.
Check out the (claimed) approvals on the manufacturer web site.
The test reports allowing production of compliance certificates may be downloadable. You may have to ask for them.
Basically to meet the approvals they claim, the test certificates must be immediately available.

It is far from unknown (even in the UK) for end user sellers to say to a manufacturer 'just put a CE label on it for us, you don't need to test'.
That has been said to my work more than once. The response is always (insert as approriate) off.

I once asked about approvals for a mains powered product I had purchased from amazon.
Basically the mains cable was too thin for the fuse and the fuse rating was far too high for the equipment power.
The manufacturer sent me a 'test certificate'.
Actually the certificate was a page listing cable/fuse sizes (extracted from an EU standard) confirming my assertion on incorrect cable/fuse!

Another mains powered product had a fake mains fuse. Another had a piece of printed circuit track as a mains fuse!

This product may well be pefectly good. But history is not on the side of 'never heard that name before' products sold by amazon.
I would look for the approvals proof before even thinking of powering an expensive camera.

Do let us know how you get on.

HTH, David.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Seelive said:

I use a similar one for my Canon 200D but I have housed the mains PSU in a waterproof box just to avoid problems with damp.

That's a good (and obvious!) idea, thanks 🙂

12 hours ago, Elp said:

Never really had a problem with them but I use a USB version normally. Mains adaptors, portable 12v batteries, usb power banks left on the floor on top of something exposed to the cold even freezing conditions, no issues. I do normally cover them though, even loosely with some sort of shield, stops them from dewing.

Agreed on the USB option, the link I posted was the first one that came up.

5 hours ago, woldsman said:

Not had good experiences with them. A couple of budget dummy batteries failed or broke after a few sessions and would also cut out during use. The Canon ones are expensive & guess I’m worried they would also prove unreliable. Opted for a battery grip in the end. Works for my set up but grips can be awkward (balance issues or protruding). 

I did think about a battery grip, but like you say balance might be an issue but I'm sure solvable. I actually have 3 batteries (the same one is used for my 77D for normal photography), but do they suffer and lose charge from being outside in the cold before being used? That was my main concern.

4 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I would apply the same precautions to this device as many other devices of little known provenance.
In this case risk of wrecking a camera that is 10x or the value of the power supply is added to the usual performance and shock risks.

The amazon description is, like that of many of their offerings, a fairy story.
Is that rosh or rohs approval🤔There is a lot more!

By all means buy one. It is after all a free return if it is obviously not right.
Once you have the kit in front of you, the manufacturer is identifiable.
Check out the (claimed) approvals on the manufacturer web site.
The test reports allowing production of compliance certificates may be downloadable. You may have to ask for them.
Basically to meet the approvals they claim, the test certificates must be immediately available.

It is far from unknown (even in the UK) for end user sellers to say to a manufacturer 'just put a CE label on it for us, you don't need to test'.
That has been said to my work more than once. The response is always (insert as approriate) off.

I once asked about approvals for a mains powered product I had purchased from amazon.
Basically the mains cable was too thin for the fuse and the fuse rating was far too high for the equipment power.
The manufacturer sent me a 'test certificate'.
Actually the certificate was a page listing cable/fuse sizes (extracted from an EU standard) confirming my assertion on incorrect cable/fuse!

Another mains powered product had a fake mains fuse. Another had a piece of printed circuit track as a mains fuse!

This product may well be pefectly good. But history is not on the side of 'never heard that name before' products sold by amazon.
I would look for the approvals proof before even thinking of powering an expensive camera.

Do let us know how you get on.

HTH, David.

Like you, I do worry about these "odd" companies on Amazon and the poor English translation being that it is all made in China. Generally unpowered things I find to be OK, but when it comes to electrical items I'm more hesitant. That's really concerning that people ask to get around testing, sounds almost a bit like the cladding companies pre Grenfell in the construction industry. Thanks for that.

3 hours ago, Clarkey said:

As @Carbon Brush says, there is a lot of fiction online. I purchased a dummy battery for my 600D but stuck with a USB powered version. My thought was I would rather have a faulty bit of low voltage kit than mains powered. 

Agreed - USB seems to be the way to go.

6 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

I used to use one with my Canon 600D and no issues. To stop dew when  I use my set up, I put an old plastic box placed over the extendable waterproof socket. (the lid of the socket doesn't close properly because one of the plugs for my usb bank is a bit bigger) This keeps everything dew free. 

Lee 

Thanks Lee, glad it worked - assume that was the plug version?

Thanks all - I think I'll investigate the USB option and also the waterproof box, seems like the obvious choice.

9 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

That's a good (and obvious!) idea, thanks 🙂

Agreed on the USB option, the link I posted was the first one that came up.

I did think about a battery grip, but like you say balance might be an issue but I'm sure solvable. I actually have 3 batteries (the same one is used for my 77D for normal photography), but do they suffer and lose charge from being outside in the cold before being used? That was my main concern.

Like you, I do worry about these "odd" companies on Amazon and the poor English translation being that it is all made in China. Generally unpowered things I find to be OK, but when it comes to electrical items I'm more hesitant. That's really concerning that people ask to get around testing, sounds almost a bit like the cladding companies pre Grenfell in the construction industry. Thanks for that.

Agreed - USB seems to be the way to go.

Thanks Lee, glad it worked - assume that was the plug version?

Thanks all - I think I'll investigate the USB option and also the waterproof box, seems like the obvious choice.

My 100d is light but that’s partly because the battery is small. A single small battery is not sufficient for winter imaging - power gives out after 40 minutes & accessing the battery is not possible without removing  the camera from the rig. The grip changes everything. The twin  batteries are in an accessible draw. I have two chargers and 4 batteries so can keep the power going by swapping them over. Never had the power cut out on me & there is one less cable to worry about. A grip is not ideal for all set ups but works for me. 

• Like 1

Used one with my 600d for several years without issue (if it goes wrong on the next session I'm blaming this post!) But I do house that, my old laptop which runs my rig, the dew heater psu, the mount psu.....basically everything in a suitably sized plastic storage box next to the rig. That also acts as the storage box for everything once I break the rig down for the night.

• Like 1

The photo from @AstroNebulee clearly shows an Intertek PSU, with model number.
A brief search of the Intertek web site did not produce a hit.
Maybe it is obsolete? However, you must keep the documents available for time after last shipping. Forget now if it is 7 or 10 years.
Maybe you need to contact them directly to get the test certificates?
I have seen this company name around on internal (PC type) and desk top power supplies. But I have not included their products in anything I have designed/built/specified.

The amazon listing images show two different power supplies.
One Intertek, the other unbranded.
So what arrives if you buy?
Absence of the maker/importer details on a product (which is large enough to mark) is a compliance fail.

The amazon offering looks to me like the usual case of 'it looks the same'.
I have seen this on everything from hobby lathes to dubious semiconductors!

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1