Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kielder Star Camp Autumn 2023

ScouseSpaceCadet

I returned from Kielder camp site this afternoon after a pleasant three night stay. Thursday was cloudy but at least the night time temperature was a very comfortable 7°C.

Friday morning's rain gave way to a sunny day with wind gusting around 25mph while the cloud forecast looked perfect.

Fish and chips and a pint of craft set me up for Friday evening along with several layers including my new favourite observing garment, my Mountain Warehouse ski pants. The layers kept me warm for six hours observing at around 4°C before I gave in to fatigue at 0230.

Once the Celestron AVX was polar aligned out came the newly polished Stellamira 125mm ED f7.8 doublet refractor. Comments from veteran astronomers about the looks, mechanicals and view through the eyepiece of this scope really reassured me I'd done the right thing buying this telescope. Wow was I pleased too!

Incidentally a Liverpool Astronomical Society compadre checked sky quality and I was happy with the 21.1 sqm however seeing was not perfect. The planets were wobbling at higher powers however we were there for the deep sky and the sky did not disappoint.

Friday night was a mix of old favourites massively enhanced in dark skies. Even the likes of the Pleiades looked spectacular compared to at home.

So the deep sky list for Friday was:
M13
M94
M92
M45
M42
M34
M31
M32
M110
M15
M36
M37
M38
M35
M27
M103
M81
M82
M33
Double Cluster
Hyades
NGC 7789 Caroline's Rose

The highlight of the night was M33. A definite core and faint structure not observed before and M13 although observed several times was on another level at Kielder with many individual stars apparent in a 12mm eyepiece.

NGC 7789 Caroline's Rose I've previously observed as a bright patch in 10x50s. Through my Altair 24mm 65° UFF eyepiece the cluster was magnificent in its detail. The loops of stars and dark lanes clearly visible.

I went to bed very happy and slept well. Saturday we woke up to an obviously colder day but the wind had eased somewhat.

Between 1200-1600, the talks and a welcome hot cuppa at Kielder Castle were enjoyable followed by an obligatory pint of stout and a burger at the Angler's Arms. The pub was very busy so the bar staff gifted me an extra free pint so it was worth the wait. 

Tonight was forecast to be colder so an extra layer went on and hand warmers strategically placed.

Saturday I revisited some objects from Friday, with the addition of unfamiliar objects or those rarely observed added.

NGC 781
M13
M31
M110
M32
M33
NGC6543 Cats Eye Planetary Nebula
NGC 6946 Fireworks Galaxy
M29
NGC 2403
M101
M15
M2
NGC 6934
M103
M51

I've observed M51 only once before so was happy to see this again. Very faint hints of arms with bright cores.

M101 I cannot see from home. Faint but ticked off...

All the NGC objects I would never see from home either but all worth the trip. NGC 781 at 154 million light years distant looked just like images I have seen just faint at first but the more you look the more you see... Amazing with this aperture and as far as I know the deepest I've observed.

Both nights several meteors kept us entertained too and during breaks from the eyepiece my Opticron T WP 10x50 binoculars wowed me as I cruised the Milky Way. All the open clusters in Casseiopiea alone looked so dense and bright compared to anywhere else I've observed.

Saturday I finished just after midnight after around four hours observing. Mindful I had a 160 mile drive home and the night turned blinkin' cold. At 6am I popped my head out the tent I was greeted by a frosty winter wonderland.

Interestingly I did not use my dew heater on either night and despite the cold and damp conditions the telescope objective did not show any signs of dew. I don't know if this was because of the carbon tube or pure luck. Eyepieces were certainly dewing, requiring spells in my warm pockets.

I've attended five various dedicated astronomy camps over the years and this was undoubtedly the best. Worth the trip.

Special thanks to Richard and Lynn. Both made me feel very welcome.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
Dew
  • Like 19

2 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Good to hear of your time and succession of targets observed at Kielder Star Camp and that the two core nights were on the whole agreeable for stargazing. Yes hospitality around there is great.  

Thanks. Kielder does have a very chilled vibe.  No phone signal suits me but this time around the camp WiFi did extend the approx. 50m to my tent. A welcome bonus. Being totally cutoff from usual friends and family is not for everyone. To ease potential boredom I took a small cheap radio with ear buds and something to read but they were only needed on Thursday.

There were people who only came for a one night or two travelling light with small tents and astrophotography gear. I'm sure they will be happy with the results.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I will have to get there one day in the process of looking for a car as I am struggling getting in and out of the vectra, 

It's a brilliant car never put a foot wrong but needs must then I need a new tent the Berghaus one was brilliant but was too big once in the boot struggling get anything in with it.