Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding (actually not guiding!)

Good monring. I have come back to this amazing hobby after a few years away from it (funny, I didn't expect to pack my kit away for 5 years when I last packed up!).
Anyway, it's amazing to see how technology has moved on in the field and one thing I never got round to was guiding. I set up last night witht he following:
HEQ5 Pro
Main scope and camera: SW Evostar 80 ED DS, and DSLR with focal reducer.
Guide scope Star Travel 80, ZWO 120mm-S
I use Synscan Pro and downloaded the drivers for it to PHD2.
The issue I have is that in PHD all I see is noise. I tried the full range of focus on the scope, very slowly, tried altering the gain and the noise reduction but absolutely nothing other than noise. I feel like I'm missing something quite basic and would very much appreciate any help!

Do you have the diagonal inserted into the ST80? Or an extension tube?  Try today in the day light to get focus on something a few hundred metres away. This will ensure the camera is working and get you in the ball park area for focus at infinity. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Do you have the diagonal inserted into the ST80? Or an extension tube?  Try today in the day light to get focus on something a few hundred metres away. This will ensure the camera is working and get you in the ball park area for focus at infinity. 

I have the 1.25" nosepice that came with the camera in to the scope - could it be that I need an extension tube? Hopefully I will be in home in time to try what you said. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, steveinhants said:

I have the 1.25" nosepice that came with the camera in to the scope - could it be that I need an extension tube? Hopefully I will be in home in time to try what you said. 

That will be your problem. Insert the diagonal and you’ll get focus ok. 

25 minutes ago, steveinhants said:

Thanks for all the help on this one. I've ordered an extension and last night tried it with the diaganol which worked! First time seeing stars from the ST 80. Just need a clear night now. 

Great news, look forward to your images.  You have a really decent AP kit

16 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Great news, look forward to your images.  You have a really decent AP kit

Thanks a lot mate. Would like to upgrade the camera to a dedicated astro camera but probably need to save some pennies for that. 

• Like 1

Bit of an update...... I went out for a couple of hours this evening and started guiding. A few mins in I lost connection so restarted. Unfortunately I kept getting the error that "PHD2 is not able to make sufficient corrections in Dec.  If you have just done a meridian flip, check to see if the 'Reverse Dec output option' on the Advanced Dialog guiding tab is wrong.  Otherwise, check for cable snags, try re-doing your calibration, and check for problems with the mount mechanics."
So, does this mean my setup is too heavy for the HEQ5 motors?

17 hours ago, steveinhants said:

my setup is too heavy

I doubt it's anything to do with mass, but perhaps you could:

- check balance in both axes
- use EQMOD instead of synscan

Those are guesses. Maybe post photos of the setup and the PHD2 log(s)? That would give us a much better chance of being able to advise.

Cheers

Edited by alacant