Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Total Eclipse April 8th 2024

lukebl

In know it's a bit early, but who's planning to go for the total eclipse on April 8th next year?

I meticulously planned the August 2017 trip to be in the spot which I reckoned would have the best weather, deepest Wyoming, and sure enough the weather was near perfect apart from some high cloud. And the landowner did warn me to beware of rattlesnakes!

This time, budgetary pressures mean I've got to go for the cheapest option which is to fly to Montreal and thence to Magog near the centre line. Unfortunately, this area is also potentially the most cloudy along the whole route! But fingers crossed. And I've never been to Canada.

Here's a couple of images I captured of the 2017 event in Wyoming.

53247576272_bfb42ee442_c.jpg

53248764558_dc72e737f4_c.jpg

The star to the lower left is Regulus.

53247576352_6ccf4bf78a_c.jpg

53248745678_1a487d58ae_c.jpg

Me and my sons during the eclipse. You can see the shadow as it traverses the sky.

53248746128_7acaa0365d_o.gif

• Like 7

We have booked with Astro Trails to see the eclipse from Mexico, originally we were planning to view it from near the Niagara Falls, followed by an Amtrak rail tip across the USA, ending up in and flying back from San Fransisco, but unfortunately Astro Trails cancelled this particular trip due to lack of interest, so viewing the eclipse from Mexico instead.

John

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 2

I'm hoping to view this. Have to take it month by month. 

It will fall on days I'm scheduled to work, but the come to understand I'm a Lunatic.

I'll plan on driving to the Texas area, then adjust to any possible clouds.

Did the same in 2017 to South Carolina and got perfect skies!.

I haven't done a search, will this be the last American eclipse in the foreseeable future?

At almost 68 now, time is not guaranteed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

...At almost 68 now, time is not guaranteed. 

Same here, and the next one visible in the UK isn't for another 67 years! The last one here was in 1999. I saw that one too, but in France not on home territory.

• Like 1

I’m going, have a friend who lives just outside Austin. :)

I’ve been talking to him about the annular eclipse this Saturday which he’s viewing as well, lucky devil. 

Edit: tomorrow in fact

Edited by Scooot