Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Motorhomes under the stars

stevephelps

I have a motorhome. I fitted ethernet and 12v supplies to the garage. I carry my astro equip in the garage along with all the other toys (paramotor, electric bike, kayak, drones, etc).

It's a great way to get to quiet places - at least in scotland. down here (I live in ipswich) every council is no anti wild camping that it's really difficult to find dark places to park for the night that don't have either 'no overmight parking' signs or a local population who are intent on being anti the idea of a motorhome parking for the night. So much so, that I now constrain myself in england to only campsites.

stu

• Like 2

I find the campsite lighting in club sites very distracting so we spend more time these days using club  Certified Location farm sites.

They are only allowed to have 5 units on site, have minimal ground lighting and have much more space being situated in fields.

• Thanks 1

The campsite at Bellingham in Northumbria is being converted to being astro friendly with lighting being reduced where possible. They occasionally run star gazing weekends, though I understand they're very popular and book out quickly. There's a small Dob in the reception that can be borrowed. 

Our nights there were very wet, though we had one evening where were we chasing stars and planets through gaps in the clouds; never more than 2 or 3 minutes viewing for any single target though. 

But very dark skies (as you'd expect from a site near to Keilder).

33 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I find the campsite lighting in club sites very distracting so we spend more time these days using club  Certified Location farm sites.

They are only allowed to have 5 units on site, have minimal ground lighting and have much more space being situated in fields.

I stay clear of all CCC sites anyway - as you say, lighting, militant rules, etc, etc. I prefer back to basics sites - a field is all I need. Loads in Suffolk/Norfolk.

The farm sites are ok sometimes, but often are in wooded areas, etc (its a farm- its crap land they can't otherwise work), and actually quite small areas. But it's definately a matter of looking at pics, google earth too, etc and seeing if it's viable.

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

I stay clear of all CCC sites anyway - as you say, lighting, militant rules, etc, etc. I prefer back to basics sites - a field is all I need. Loads in Suffolk/Norfolk.

The farm sites are ok sometimes, but often are in wooded areas, etc (its a farm- its crap land they can't otherwise work), and actually quite small areas. But it's definately a matter of looking at pics, google earth too, etc and seeing if it's viable.

'militant rules' 😆, love it.  In club reviews I choose the word 'Draconian' instead. 

3 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

'militant rules' 😆, love it.  In club reviews I choose the word 'Draconian' instead. 

yeh examples i had were:

site with big empty grass field as it was october or so.. "can i  just park the motorhome over there in the field - I don't need any electricity or anything?" no, thats for tents. motorhomes on the concrete row, all must be front out.. "yeh, but there's no tents there, so can't i just go in there?", no, thats for tents. motorhomes on the concrete row, all must be front out..

site with van parked around sides, with big open grass in middle.. so I parked side facing the big grass bit so I can have door open, and sit outside and dog can be on long staked leash and run about. "hello, can you move your motorhome please. all motorhomes must be either nose in or nose out" why ? "because as you can see, the other motorhomes are" why ? "you will have to move or go." ok, bye then, ill make sure and leave a review

Then again I've also been on a 'relaxed' site where a group of scrotes were quite happy to use the back of my motorhome as a 'wall' to bounce their football off...Hence I try to stick to ones so basic no one would take kinds to, and with no fixed pitches or electric hookups which usually keeps the more, shall we say, satellite tv, awning, leveling chuck and fairy light type away...

• Haha 1

On 26/10/2023 at 12:30, powerlord said:

yeh examples i had were:

site with big empty grass field as it was october or so.. "can i  just park the motorhome over there in the field - I don't need any electricity or anything?" no, thats for tents. motorhomes on the concrete row, all must be front out.. "yeh, but there's no tents there, so can't i just go in there?", no, thats for tents. motorhomes on the concrete row, all must be front out..

site with van parked around sides, with big open grass in middle.. so I parked side facing the big grass bit so I can have door open, and sit outside and dog can be on long staked leash and run about. "hello, can you move your motorhome please. all motorhomes must be either nose in or nose out" why ? "because as you can see, the other motorhomes are" why ? "you will have to move or go." ok, bye then, ill make sure and leave a review

Then again I've also been on a 'relaxed' site where a group of scrotes were quite happy to use the back of my motorhome as a 'wall' to bounce their football off...Hence I try to stick to ones so basic no one would take kinds to, and with no fixed pitches or electric hookups which usually keeps the more, shall we say, satellite tv, awning, leveling chuck and fairy light type away...

That's why we love camping in France.  When we ask 'where do you want us to pitch' they just shrug and then bring you fresh bakery items in the morning. Perfect.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

That's why we love camping in France.  When we ask 'where do you want us to pitch' they just shrug and then bring you fresh bakery items in the morning. Perfect.

I should go over with the dog sometime.

• Like 1

I used a motorhome for going to dark sites before going to live at one permanently. It can work well but there are issues. Motorhomes are often totally useless on soft surfaces and get stuck at the drop of a hat. This may explain the campsite rules mentioned earlier. The trouble is that the best places for astronomy are, therefore, often the worst places for campervans. This was a major stumbling block for me. It also proved disappointing not to be able to Certified Locations (minimalist campsites) because, again our coachbuilt got stuck too easily.

Olly

• Like 1

On 27/10/2023 at 15:33, powerlord said:

I should go over with the dog sometime.

Our dog loves going to France, fortunately he's a good traveler in the motorhome.

You'll have to be prepared to shell out cash for the obligatory Animal Health Certificate which costs us about £180 each time although that is variable depending on where you live.

Also you have to take the dog to a vet before you return home which can cost anything from 30 to 60 Euros.

• Like 1