Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pointcraft error in APT

Penguin

Hi All,

PointCraft in APT has generally been fab with my 450D and SW-250P on EQ6. A few months ago I acquired a 2nd hand QHY163C and this is the first night I've been able to use it. I entered all the configuration for the new camera into APT but after PointCraft has slewed to the target and taken it's first image, I get the error "PointCraft Error: Can't start solving".

The only thing I'm thinking is maybe I need to download some different star charts for the different FOV etc?  Or is there anything else I need to check? 

On 07/10/2023 at 21:55, knobby said:

What solver are you using, I prefer astap, might be worth trying it, also try different exposure times maybe.

Ah, now that I look, I see it doesn't have a 'Near' solver set. That's weird! It definitely used to have one. I set it to PS2 and it started working again, though slower than it used to. That worked for an hour or so and then started timing out on every attempt.

So I've given up on that session (what a frustrating pastime this is!) and come inside to download a few more plate-solving options.

6 hours ago, Penguin said:

Ah, now that I look, I see it doesn't have a 'Near' solver set. That's weird! It definitely used to have one. I set it to PS2 and it started working again, though slower than it used to. That worked for an hour or so and then started timing out on every attempt.

So I've given up on that session (what a frustrating pastime this is!) and come inside to download a few more plate-solving options.

I would consider upgrading to ps3 which is faster , installation details in the user guide, what version of Apt are you using ?  https://www.astrophotography.app/usersguide/pointcraft_and_plate_solving.htm?ms=AAAA&q=UGxhdGVzb2x2aW5nIA%3D%3D&st=MQ%3D%3D&sct=MA%3D%3D&mw=MzM1

Edited by bottletopburly

I've downloaded PS3 and ASTAP (there was already an installer for ASTAP in my downloads folder so I think it is what I previously used but it just seemed to have disappeared).

I've also updated APT (from 4.2) to the latest version (4.3) while the laptop was online.

I'll give it another go the next time the sky clears enough so I can see some stars. So that'll probably be in a few months time :sad2:

There's a good web page somewhere all about speeding up solve times.

Here it is ...

https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-and-using-astrotortilla-for-plate-solving.html

It relates to installing Astrotortilla which I use, but some of the speeding up bits further down the page would work for any software, since they all use the same set of files.  Just remember when you do get new equipment you may need to add back files to get it working.

Thanks for all those hints. I redownloaded and installed the missing solvers and plate solving seems to be working fine again now. Currently imaging the Pacman nebula (I hope, can't see anything looking like a nebula in the raw images at the moment!)

• Like 1