NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Society for Popular Astronomy

Samop

18 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Blast from the past, is it still going? I think it used to be for junior astronomers and had it's own magazine called Hermes, though my memory could very possibly be wrong!

Wow, that is a long time ago! It ditched the Hermes title in 1981. 
It also ditched the “junior “ appellation as it’s for all ages.

Im not a member (I belong to BAA), but the SPA is a fine organisation 

• Like 1

Yes, took advantage of an offer a couple of years ago and look forward to getting the bi-monthly magazine, which has articles for the different special groups as well as a section for young astronomers.

It usually has up-to-date news on research etc, so is valuable in that regard. 

One difference to the 'newsagent' monthly magazines is that it's very light on adverts - which, is likely to appeal to some readers.   

I was a member of the SPA for a good number of years and found it very good. I enjoyed the magazine and looked forward to reading the section reports. The SPA gave me the confidence to submit my observations and I was given good support from the relevant section directors. As my observing activities changed I progressed to the BAA. 

• Like 1