Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time to bring out the 125

Cjg

A combination of weather, work / life has meant that for all of this year, I've always reached for the 92mm Stowaway when the chance to observe has happened. The little 'frac accompanied me to the recent AstroCamp at Cwmdu. But last Saturday, for an outreach event, the Fairhaven Star Night (https://www.fairhavengarden.co.uk/) the forecast was clear, so for the first time, in at least a year, out came the Altair 125 ED. It's a big scope, requiring a decent mount, but with almost 5 inches of aperture, at f7.8 gives superb views.

125 people attended the Star Night, and by 22:30, I think many had stopped to look through my 125. Initially just looking at the Moon, then Saturn and the 'lollipops' of Albireo, the Dumbell Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy, plus a favourite of mine the Owl Cluster, and more.

I think as amateur astronomers, we can forget just how enchanting a decent view of the Moon can be, at 8pm it was beautifully lit with the terminator, mountains and maria highly visible. The 'wow's' were not just from the children either. Saturn's rings are not best placed at present, but again for some people, seeing Saturn for the first time was amazing, and the enthusiasm and excitement was infectious.

I'm going to make an effort to use the 125 more this year, despite needing more trips to / from the car to set up and take down, think it will be well worth the extra 'hassle'.

IMG_0251.JPG

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Thanks for the great read, I think you should use the 125 more often, more trips from the car pay off in photons!

Thank you, and agree, it's just a habit to get into I think. 

Chris

• Like 1