Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from East Sussex

Bugdozer

Hi, I am Simon, pleased to be here! (I signed up for the Cloudy Nights forum too, but was instantly banned before I had even posted. Stuff that!) 

I currently have a Celestron Nexstar 5SE which I am also teaching my teenage daughter how to use. I have been into astronomy my whole life, I initially had a crummy refractor from Argos when I was about 13 (almost impossible to see anything due to the wobbly mount) then a Meade ETX90 when I could afford a "proper" scope, and now the Celestron. Although I have been observing for a while, I am only now taking my first steps into photography through the telescope. I am sure lots of you will be able to advise me! 

• Like 2

Your telescope will be fine for planetary imaging but unless it has an equatorial tracking mode it is unlikely to be suitable for long exposure.  Plus the focal ratio of the telescope is likely to be too slow.   But you could give it a try, you will soon find out its limitations. 

Edited by carastro

1 minute ago, carastro said:

Your telescope will be fine for planetary imaging but unless it has an equatorial tracking mode it is unlikely to be suitable for long exposure.  Plus the focal ratio of the telescope is likely to be too slow.   But you could give it a try, you will soon find out its limitations. 

Yes, I can put it into Equatorial mode but it's not the easiest scope to do that with. I'm not expecting Hubble quality results, the mount is not really ideal for photography, but as you say, planetary could work well. I'm awaiting delivery of an eyepiece projection adaptor right now. I have some good photos of the Moon and M13 taken at prime focus with extension tubes, but I really am still learning!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...