NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

aurora prediction apps

Horwig

A few times I have been setting up in my back garden when the app signals high auroral activity. The dilemma then is either to hop in the van and go somewhere dark or stick with plan A and take advantage of a clear night at home.

I find that looking at sites like  www.spaceweather.com   gives a heads-up of any CME which is Earthbound a few days in advance and so you can tentatively plan some kind of  aurora based outing that has an above average chance of success.

I'm sure I have seen some rotating space plasma diagram thingy on a website somewhere  that shows possible impacts spiraling out from the Sun with a projected future time axis as well.

Cannot seem to find a link.

• Thanks 1

On 26/09/2023 at 18:08, Beulah said:

Glendale app is pretty good too. It's more like a shortcut to a web page that you have on your phone. There's a lot of data to browse, including an IMF chart which predicts activity between 1-3 hours.

I use the Glendale app as well, but also have spaceweatherlive app (different from the Spaceweather.com website) on my phone. The latter is useful for alerts, gives an estimate of where the auroral band is and summarises the current state in a quick and easy to view dashboard.

• 2 months later...

A late update on Aurorawatch, the night of Dec 2nd, It gave me an aurora warning, it was clear, so I went outside but saw nothing at all.

Since the figures looked promising, I put a camera up, six seconds at iso 6400 gave me this, the first time I've ever caught an aurora. Now I'd love to see one too

Huw

aurora.thumb.JPG.76271b2765a7cb53fa35651278f86c65.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rallemikken said:

I's love to never see one again. Up here, central Norway, the aurora spoils every second night that's suited for imaging.....

My Mum and Dad (mid-60s) are going on a cruise with Havila from Bergen to Kirkenes in a couple of months time.  Apparently if they don't see the Northern lights at any point on their cruise, they get another half voyage for nothing.  I think that's hilarious.

7 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Apparently if they don't see the Northern lights at any point on their cruise, they get another half voyage for nothing

Chances are good that far north, as long as the sky is clear. Been a lot the last two-three  years. No chance to avoid it once it's there. If your first subs are green, you can just as well go to sleep, it will be there for the whole night, more or less. Even if it's not really spectacular to watch, very little is needed to spoil the imaging. On average, one in five nights have been spoiled for me during the last two years. And those have of course been sparkling cold nights with no moon.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rallemikken said:

I's love to never see one again. Up here, central Norway, the aurora spoils every second night that's suited for imaging.....

Could I interest you in a swap for constant cloud, nice and grey, no colour at all ;)

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I appreciate you bringing up the topic of aurora prediction apps! It's always fascinating to explore different tools for tracking aurora borealis activity. The AuroraWatch UK app is indeed popular, offering reliable alerts and updates. In addition to that, I'd recommend checking out the My Aurora Forecast app, which provides comprehensive forecasts and real-time notifications. And hey, speaking of exploring, have you ever considered trying out some free games that pay real money instantly? It's a fun way to pass the time while waiting for those auroras to dance across the sky.

Edited by buddyaderholt