Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gazeebo

Hi, 

Im looking at getting a scope, however storage may be an issue as I have a small ish house already packed to the gunnels with stuff ! 

I do have two large-ish gardens though and enough space for a scope in a semi permanent position on a patio area.  I appreciate a decent shed is the answer but how about a gazeebo ?

That would be enough for wind and rain but maybe condensation etc would be a problem. Naturally, I dont want to ruin it.  I simply dont have space to store inside and I dont have disposable £$£ for a shed and a new scope 😞

What do you guys do, especially with bigger scopes and mounts ?

Carl 

Have a nose through the diy observatories forum, it might give you a few ideas. Someone built a good observatory using correx in which all was kept outside.

There are also covers called telegizmo 365 from first light optics which enable you to keep your stuff outside, personally I would limit it to the mouht though, I'm not sure I would keep the telescope outside under one. All the best.

• Like 2

As an alternative to a new shed, consider second hand on marketplace or gumtree.  You might have a bit of a wait, but it'll be considerably cheaper than new, even factoring in van hire.  You won't need anything massive and might be able to pick one up for free!  Just need a few concrete blocks for a base and away you go.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot depends on the size and type of scope you intend buying. A 50mm refractor could easily be stored in a small corner of the house whereas an 8” Celestron SCT takes up a lot of space, plus it’s very heavy and difficult to carry. I store my Celestron set up and ready to go in its own shed. When I had a 50mm refractor I stored it in a bedroom.

Personally I wouldn’t store any scope outside with only a cover over it for protection, but TeleGizmos do a scope cover designed for permanent outdoor protection and I have seen good reviews for it, so something to think about perhaps?

What scope do you have in mind?

Edited by Moonshed

Depending on where in the garden, you might consider a scope cover disguised as a garden feature.

I have seen photos of a fibreglass pretend dovecote. In reality a weatherproof cover for a mount.
The scope went indoors.

I have seen a tardis. Open the doors and slide back on rails to reveal a complete imaging setup.

When considering my observatory, I was told that a bottle recycling bank in a prominent location would not go down well.
Hence the decision to go for a shed with roof rolling over a pergola.

• Like 1