NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginners M51

tmarkuk

Hopefully the image is there now...

This is my first thread here, and my first proper attempt at a deep sky image. I went with M51 as it's in the right place and always spectacular.

whirlpool3.jpg

The equipment :

Old Orion Optics 250mm F4.8 Europa Reflector

Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

Canon EOS 1000D

ISO 1600

23 x 3 minute unguided exposures + 10 dark frames

Stacked in DSS and badly post processed in photoshop

For a first real attempt I'm pretty happy with it, though it clearly has a few problems. I need to learn more about processing to darken it down a bit and improve the contrast. I also really need to learn about flat field frames by the look of it.

Also I missed a setting in DSS so it came out in grayscale which wasn't the intended result, I believe I need to set the bayer matrix settings in the FITs menu.

Anyway, all pointers, tips and critisism gratefully received!

There's an IMG link in the message, but the file doesn't appear to be there or is blank. I'm not seeing the pic. When you look at the output from DSS, it always looks grey. If you are using the DSS adjustments, use the saturation tab and give it about 25%, something I got from here.

A big thank you to Steppenwolf for this :

whirlpool4.jpg

I'll keep my original up there, but if I need a quick show of the advantage of good processing, there it is. I'm going to have to try and replicate that with the original data now!

The mount is a Vixen Sphinx SX, bought second hand from Tiny off this forum. I found a never ending list of horror stories about the mount on it's yahoo user group after getting it, but with a bit of adjustment to the worm meshes and a decent amount of time spent on alignment it's performing really well.

It's housed in a roll off roof shed in the garden on an improvised pier.

Excellent image,your star spikes are very familiar to me,i assume your europa has a two vane spider which resemble girders and certainly not the streamlined vanes you get in modern scopes.

Its still a lovely scope though.

i assume your europa has a two vane spider which resemble girders and certainly not the streamlined vanes you get in modern scopes.

Its still a lovely scope though.

That's the one yes, though at least you know it's not going to move any time soon. I've spoken with Orion about the new ones and they will sell you one and an upgraded multipoint primary mirror cell. Might make a nice upgrade for an older tube at some point.

Archived