Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Delabole Slate Quarry Time office

This is the Delabole Slate Quarry time keeping office that was used many many years ago and now is bricked up and disused. There used to be to cone part of bomb that landed on a house in Delabole during the war, that was placed on a tripod suspended by a chain that the time office manager used to bang with a hammer to signal to the workers of the quarry to start work, dinner and go home. 

Taken on 13-9-23 before the village urchins and reprobates turned up. 

A composite of using the light painting technique for the building using my headtorch 10 sec at 1600iso F4. 

The sky was 10x13sec at 3200 iso f2.8

Taken with Canon 600D and Samyang 14mm lens 

Processed in Sequator and photoshop. 

This image is taken facing North to East and there seems to be a faint hint of aurora in the far background. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Time-Office-13-9-23-Composite-less-pinkhalo.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

Fantastic, Lee. 👏👏 Love the story behind the hut, which you’ve light painted nicely. I suspect that is indeed aurora, which was reasonably active on Wednesday evening after a bonkers Tuesday.

So great to see you out doing these shots. 👍

Thank you Paul, that's lovely of you to say. I'm not sure if the building is to dark as I had to control it a bit and lots of devices and software show it differently. I thought if it was lighter it woukd look plonked on a background? But if you give it a click will brighten a bit. 

I did use a bit of artistic licence and removed the telegraph pole and wires that is on the right hand side behind the time office as I like the buildings to look how they were a long time ago. 

I'll attach an image of what the bell looked like that stood outside the time office. I remember you could hear that bell all across the village and was sounded prior to blasting the slate too, massive explosions that rang through the village. 

Regarding the Aurora it was just a shame that the Tuesday night was clouded out here. Will try again 

Your the inspiration that is getting me out there to try Widefield Nightscapes Paul 😊

IMG_20230917_175811.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you Paul, that's lovely of you to say. I'm not sure if the building is to dark as I had to control it a bit and lots of devices and software show it differently. I thought if it was lighter it woukd look plonked on a background? 

I'll attach an image of what the bell looked like that stood outside the time office. 

Regarding the Aurora it was just a shame that the Tuesday night was clouded out here. Will try again 

Your the inspiration that is getting me out there to try Widefield Nightscapes Paul 😊

IMG_20230917_175811.jpg

That bomb story is glorious! Brilliantly eccentric. 😊

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, andrew63 said:

That's a super rich image.  With the Aurora glow on the horizon, together with NGC 752,  the Andromeda Galaxy and the haze of M33 forming a nice triangular area. 

Thank you. I saw M31 but that's a great spot on NGC 752 and M33 I never saw them in there before.