NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Uranus under excellent seeing (15/09/23)

Kon

Another excellent morning for imaging; excellent transparency and stability. Jupiter in OSC and Uranus in IR showing its northern polar hood (false colour). 8" Dob, manual, asi 462mc or mm, 2.5xTV powermate, UV/IR cut or IR pass. Jupiter is a derotation of 2x120s and Uranus 8min capture.

image.png.62a2446bc2e3900798f7495cee4dd88d.png image.png.3236583d83a7a852241a9f77c4ad5d20.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 18

34 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

More great images Kostas. I just need to get a decent camera to resume planetary imaging again. I was thinking about a 585MC. Thoughts?.

Thanks. Let's take it offline (I am also down the road from you).

1 hour ago, BGazing said:

Excellent result, especially given that you do it manually and without Paracorr. 

Thanks. I am making my life difficult , don't I?🤣. An ADC would be nice but with manual is another challenge to battle.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Thanks. I am making my life difficult , don't I?🤣. An ADC would be nice but with manual is another challenge to battle.

Wow, this without ADC and tracking is truly superb.

Move on to tracking and ADC...ASAP. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGazing said:

Wow, this without ADC and tracking is truly superb.

Move on to tracking and ADC...ASAP. :)

Thank you very much. You lot are awful.🤣 Neil has been pushing me to get tracking, some offline discussions are inclining that way too.  I like the simplicity of getting the dob in and out, good to go once the mirrors are cool. But I can see how having a better setup will vastly improve my captures....hhhmmmmm🙃

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kon said:

Thank you very much. You lot are awful.🤣 Neil has been pushing me to get tracking, some offline discussions are inclining that way too.  I like the simplicity of getting the dob in and out, good to go once the mirrors are cool. But I can see how having a better setup will vastly improve my captures....hhhmmmmm🙃

A tracking DOB is good to go once the mirrors are cool 🙂 That said, rock climbing with a rope makes more sense but those thrill seekers prefer without. 😉

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 1

Once again these are fab. Although I don’t know where you have the energy for all the late nights/early mornings. I was observing in the early hours of today. Great seeing but rubbish transparency… well mist and fog… so I went back to bed. 

I don’t image but as you know I have a 200p. I also have a EQ platform. To me that sounds like a good compromise - very little setup time, just plonk your Dob ontop and push it about in the time honoured way. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Once again these are fab. Although I don’t know where you have the energy for all the late nights/early mornings. I was observing in the early hours of today. Great seeing but rubbish transparency… well mist and fog… so I went back to bed. 

I don’t image but as you know I have a 200p. I also have a EQ platform. To me that sounds like a good compromise - very little setup time, just plonk your Dob ontop and push it about in the time honoured way. 

Thanks Peter . As long as I get 4-6hrs sleep I am fine. I was up this morning again but not good seeing so I was back in bed.

The idea of the platform is good and I have started looking into a DIY from the excellent SGL topic on it. I should do it over the winter for next season.

53 minutes ago, Kon said:

The idea of the platform is good and I have started looking into a DIY from the excellent SGL topic on it. I should do it over the winter for next season.

That’s what I have. And it fits and handles the 200p really well. I didn’t need to change/modify anything. 

The nice thing about this platform is that you can make it with very basic tools - eg electric drill, hacksaw, panel saw, file, screwdrivers and pliers. The instructions are excellent too. Although initially I found it hard to visualise. So what I did was cut everything out first so that I had a “kit of parts”. Having all the bits in my hands helped here. After that it all went together surprisingly fast.

If you do decided to make it and have any questions just ask! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Maurizio83 said:

Kon you produce excellent images overall for an 8-inch telescope used in your latitudes. It probably has excellent optics. Considering the manual tracking, they are exceptional 👍

6 hours ago, morimarty said:

As Maurizio say's above Kostas.👍

Thank you both.  I think seeing is a big factor but careful collimation also helps.