NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Problems

When you 'left' do you mean you pressed the 'left' button on the handset (ie the button on the left of the hnadset) etc.

The buttons aren't absolute so much would depend on what direction you were facing at the time.

Is this possibly to do with the buttons not actually being N, S, E and W directions but rather moving along the relevant titled axis. I know with my HEQ5 when I press those buttons, or use the joystick the motion isn't in the directions I would necessarily expect so I ignore the compass directions to be honest.

Which side did you have the dovetail tighteneng bolts on? You can put the scope on the mount facing in either direction and as far as I can work out (not far!) the mount can't know which you've chosen till you align it.

Olly.

Spoke to Bern at Modern and he advised to do a firmware upgrade, I am currently on V0323eq.ssf.

It never rains but it pours as they say, now I cannot get the hand controller to upgrade to V0324eq.ssf.

The error messages are " cannot connect to a synscan hand controller " and " firmware update failed, cycle power to synscan and try again" ,I have tried to do the upgrade on my laptop using an Astronomiser usb to serial and on my desktop just using the serial cable provided by Skywatcher.

I am using the ac power adapter bought from Bern.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do next ??

Thanks

John

Just a quick thought to eliminate the obvious, could someone else with the HEQ5 Pro just check that when holding the controller and the buttons that if you press the right handside button that it slews right.

Sounds obviouse I know also would confirm whether I am losing the plot or not.

Cheers

John

John, it might not be of help here, but on my little NexStar the slew buttons reverse at slow speeds... took me ages to understand why, until I got my Mak and used it with that, could there be a setting that adjusts in that way ?

Just checked with mine.

OK with the scope sat over its weights in the park position and front of scope aimed at Polaris ( NORTH )

DEC axis clutch tp the LEFT of the scope - dovetail holding bolts to RIGHT.

Standing behind scope with handcontroller also facing north - pressing LEFT button with arrow like <= makes the scope turn this way => in RA axis. - Soooooo the scope goes opposte the buttons. Thats what I meant in my earleir post - its all relative to the way the scope is set up, which way its facing etc.

I ignore the markings on the buttons and use them to centre objects based on which direction the scope moves relative to the view in the EP.

I'm pretty sure this had me confused ,once upon a time. The only time you should become concerned is if the goto's suddenly appear reversed :), I've had this too ! It was a while back but pretty sure it had a lot to do with what Olly described.

PS Don't have this anymore as I'm with EQmod and the game controller- do exactly what AB suggested

Karlo

Ab, thank you for your time and info much appreciated and I am now oriented again, I guess I was having a senior moment.

DK, it looks like I did loose the plot and thanks for pointing it out (lol).

Karlo, I can only get the EQMOD working with PC Direct on my daughters XP lappy so I guess I have a vista problem but I suspect I might have an RJ45 connex problem as it does not seem to be a good fit.

Bern, I still cannot get the handcontroller to update the firmware ( I will send you an email about that).

Thanks guys for all your help it feels good to have it working again, it has not had a lot of use in the 11months I have had it so hopefully it will get more now.

John

Updating Synscan has never been a problem with mine - I have done it a few times.

Are you following the steps on the manual perfectly as the upgrade software can be very pernickity.

If your stuck message back and I am happy to write down the exact sequence. I know from other posts that the USB to Serial can be a cause of headaches.

Hi Guys,

Still cannot get the hand controller to update( Bern is going to advise ).

As I said earlier I could not get EQMOD to run direct from the laptop to the mount, well I have removed the RJ45 and I have now cut one end off of a CAT5 ethernet cable. The plan is to take the wires that are in 4,5, and 6 in the cat5 ( blue, blue and white and green and connect them direct to the FTDI cable using solder.

Well I now have completed the above and the system is working fine now it appears that it was a dodgy RJ45 connector.

A big thanks too one and all for your help and advice.

John:hello2:

Archived