NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great Square of Pegasus

Well there is ngc 7814 in the one corner.  There is a boatload of variable and double stars if that is your thing.  Outside the box is a very nice cluster M15 if i remember correctly, NGC 7331, NGC 7318 and NGC 7479 are in the general vicinity as well 

Edited by Mike Q

23 hours ago, Richard N said:

Is it just me or is there really nothing of interest in this patch of sky? I have looked at several guides but none seems to have much to offer. Suggestions (or just look elsewhere)?

It's the Kansas of the night sky. (Sorry, American joke...)

• Haha 3

The great square is a famous test of naked eye observation and sky quality. A number of us, here, tested another guest, famous for his eyesight, and we were all convinced that he made mag 7, naked eye. This is not unprecedented, but t is rare, and we do have a good sky.

Olly

• Like 1

I think the HST has demonstrated that there is no such thing as a patch of empty sky, but it does depend on how deep you can go.

The September edition of Astronomy Now featured the square of Pegasus, seven pages of deep sky objects to go at.

Edited by tomato
Typo corrected
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2023 at 22:56, Elp said:

NGC7088?

Thank you for sending me down the most interesting Google rabbit hole I've been down in a while!

Is it a good scope or a bad scope that let's you see things that don't even exist, do we think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lawsio said:

Thank you for sending me down the most interesting Google rabbit hole I've been down in a while!

Is it a good scope or a bad scope that let's you see things that don't even exist, do we think?

Think it's more to do with the human mind.

1 hour ago, lawsio said:

Averted imagination 

• Haha 3