Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy events that do not require camping

Paz

I would like to go to some astronomy observing events / weekends etc but I don't cope with the cold very well (not great if you do astronomy!) so I can't do events that involve camping. Are there any astronomy events in the UK that do not require camping that people know of or would recommend?

At the Kelling Heath events you can stay in one of their 'lodges' or static caravans. A bit pricey but good if spread across a family or friends.

What I do is have a caravan delivered to my pitch. Its so nice and cosy that my wife now joins me sometimes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AstroKeith said:

At the Kelling Heath events you can stay in one of their 'lodges' or static caravans. A bit pricey but good if spread across a family or friends.

What I do is have a caravan delivered to my pitch. Its so nice and cosy that my wife now joins me sometimes.

Thanks I didn't know they did those, they look good!

15 hours ago, Paz said:

I would like to go to some astronomy observing events / weekends etc but I don't cope with the cold very well (not great if you do astronomy!) so I can't do events that involve camping. Are there any astronomy events in the UK that do not require camping that people know of or would recommend?

Both Cwmdu Astrocamp and Kielder Starcamp offer wooden pods. A step up from a tent and you can take a heater. Also Cwmdu offers four cottages to rent just off site and Kielder has a static caravan adjacent to the tent field.

The early Autumn camps are not *that* cold though. I do not use a heater.

The Spring camps however are right nippy!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Both Cwmdu Astrocamp and Kielder Starcamp offer wooden pods. A step up from a tent and you can take a heater. Also Cwmdu offers four cottages to rent just off site and Kielder has a static caravan adjacent to the tent field.

The early Autumn camps are not *that* cold though. I do not use a heater.

The Spring camps however are right nippy!

My maps says its 3hrs and 16minutes  181 miles to  Cwmdu Astrocamp

5 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

My maps says its 3hrs and 16minutes  181 miles to  Cwmdu Astrocamp

Quite literally, YMMV.

For the OP - if you look at the Events listing page of gostargazing.co.uk website, you can see events in your area. Some of these will be regular club meetings, others may be special public access events, which may offer the opportunity to do observing.

Of course, in the UK, the weather is a limiting factor, as planned events may not coincide with clear skies, but there's usually some alternative activities offered, as well as the chance to meet up with members of the local societies.

https://gostargazing.co.uk/stargazing-events/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1