NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Made Me Smile...

I was just thinking, after a friend, who's super new to astronomy. I was trying to explain to him that he really doesn't ( shouldn't?? ) go out and buy a super heavy super expensive rig to begin with, because the extra heavy weight of all the gear, will make him less likely to be motivated to setup on clear nights etc. he retorted "Oh don't be silly Wes! I don't care if something is heavy!? I'm a strong enough bloke to carry any size rig in and out the back garden!" I tried to further explain that he will be much more likely to use his gear if it's light and portable, and that he has plenty of time in future to get super heavy super expensive gear. He just laughed...

He reminded me of a few years ago when i was new, and I had the exact same attitude. But I quickly learned that no matter how fit n strong you are, it really really does matter how heavy and cumbersome your gear is, it really does affect your motivation to carry it all outside! I learned the hard way, and I fear my good friend will too! LOL

• Like 2

This is true. Even though all my setups are backpack (20kg plus) friendly (tripod and camera accessories bag in hands), sometimes I just can't, and like to use my Samyang or camera body instead. Unless you have a garage door opening and carry out onto drive, it's usually a lot of hassle, especially when it comes to bringing it back in quietly. Even lifting the whole setup over a step becomes an exercise in contortion and ligament injury inducing. Yes you can take it out/bring it back in in steps, but I have no issue carrying my whole samyang rig fully connected up and down stairs out and back in.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I honestly don’t mind setting up my full EQ mount and telescope(s) but only if it’s a cloud free night. The gaps between these cloud free nights can be lengthy ensuring that I’ll be chomping at the bit to get back out there regardless of the weight. I am however in the process of putting together a light grab and go setup for those gaps in the clouds that are far more frequent than the former cloudless nights.

• Like 1

I've owned a couple of (visual) setups which proved too heavy and clumbersome to be practical in my circumstances. I don't have an observatory so my gear is kept in the house and needs to be setup / taken down for a session. Due to obstructions around the observing area I need to be able to move my scope around to some extent once it is setup. 

My principle aim over the past years though has been to have setups that are really quick and simple to put out and bring back in. That way I get much more observing in than I would if I used more complex setups. 

Nothing sadder than a decent scope not being used because, after the initial fit of enthusiasm, the owner finds that it's just too much effort / trouble to set up and tear down for what can turn out to be quite short sessions with the unpredictability of the UK weather. This is something that you kind of have to find out for yourself though. Looking back at the of setups that did not work out for me, I find the question "what were you thinking ?" springs to mind 🙄

At the time though, the potential downsides were over-ruled in my head by the rush of anticipation of "big, new kit" 😁

• Like 2

On 30/08/2023 at 15:13, Elp said:

This is true. Even though all my setups are backpack (20kg plus) friendly (tripod and camera accessories bag in hands), sometimes I just can't, and like to use my Samyang or camera body instead. Unless you have a garage door opening and carry out onto drive, it's usually a lot of hassle, especially when it comes to bringing it back in quietly. Even lifting the whole setup over a step becomes an exercise in contortion and ligament injury inducing. Yes you can take it out/bring it back in in steps, but I have no issue carrying my whole samyang rig fully connected up and down stairs out and back in.

@Elp I live on 3rd floor of flats with no lifts, so I have to carry my entire rig, all in one go, down all the stairs. I am too afraid of carrying it all down in two or three trips because of a local man who is a severe drug addict, and has already stolen my brothers brand new bike. We couldn't prove it though, so we're stuck. He would literally steal your kidneys out your body if he knew a way to get them out! LOL. But even without the fear of crime, I still dread carrying my big HEq5 pro, either my 200/1000 newtonian or small Altair 66/400, power box, cameras, batteries, flask of coffee etc etc! Carrying it all back up is even worse! LOL.

( I'm planning on buying a much lighter mount in the near future, and only using the big beast ( 200/1000 newtonian ) and HEQ5 when I am going for a target that warrants it )

Clear Skies!

Edited by wesdon1
missed a bit

I credit you for the determination, that takes some doing. After having an eq3-2, I decided to convert to smaller setups as they could be packed away into bags. Even my 130pds I had inside a 70L backpack. Now my C6 with hem15 and all imaging gear and battery fit inside that 70L, so it's usually just that and a tripod in hand. Same with my refractor or lens setups, but with those the tripod can also fit in the bag.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

I credit you for the determination, that takes some doing. After having an eq3-2, I decided to convert to smaller setups as they could be packed away into bags. Even my 130pds I had inside a 70L backpack. Now my C6 with hem15 and all imaging gear and battery fit inside that 70L, so it's usually just that and a tripod in hand. Same with my refractor or lens setups, but with those the tripod can also fit in the bag.

@elp Thanks mate. Yes I use a 50L bag for the small refractor, but when using the big 8" newt, I have the 50L bag on back with cameras, power box etc etc in it, and carry the newt with left hand, and have the HEQ5 on my right shoulder, and it's literally like that 80's/90's show the CRYPTON FACTOR having to slowly methodically negotiate corners, stairs etc without banging my gear on walls, railings etc! LOL. When using the little refractor, I can just put it in bag on back and only have the HEQ5 on my right shoulder, which is still hard work, but much less difficult than when i have the big beast with me.

Definitely getting a full lightweight setup in coming months though! 

On 30/08/2023 at 16:17, Marvin Jenkins said:

I have been hitting the weights recently in preparation for ordering a Planewave. Just need to win the Loto now.

Marv

@Marvin Jenkins LOL I actually used to be a serious amateur bodybuilder for roughly 10 years from my early 20's to early 30's, and have trained with heavy weights since 13. But I STILL feel exhausted from carrying my silly big/heavy rig down then up all the stairs at my flats! LOL. ( strictly speaking, weight lifting is great for strength/size, but rubbish for cardiovascular fitness )

As for the lottery, my goodness wouldn't it be incredible!! I'd design and have built my dream observatory somewhere dark in UK, and have a second holiday property in south USA with an Observatory, and have some of the biggest most expensive 'scopes money could buy! Oh if only...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@Marvin Jenkins LOL I actually used to be a serious amateur bodybuilder for roughly 10 years from my early 20's to early 30's, and have trained with heavy weights since 13. But I STILL feel exhausted from carrying my silly big/heavy rig down then up all the stairs at my flats! LOL. ( strictly speaking, weight lifting is great for strength/size, but rubbish for cardiovascular fitness )

As for the lottery, my goodness wouldn't it be incredible!! I'd design and have built my dream observatory somewhere dark in UK, and have a second holiday property in south USA with an Observatory, and have some of the biggest most expensive 'scopes money could buy! Oh if only...

Could you not get a trolly something like this https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/building-equipment-and-materials/hand-trucks-and-trolleys/folding-wagon-multipurpose-trolley/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8anBhCFARIsAKbbpySgxjrl5xg1wGjio0lM0LW8OqPnCrPiK4eg7oBBs_L3UKGVSqgNGgwaAsidEALw_wcB#4887186

Best wishes 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2023 at 15:53, John said:

I've owned a couple of (visual) setups which proved too heavy and clumbersome to be practical in my circumstances. I don't have an observatory so my gear is kept in the house and needs to be setup / taken down for a session. Due to obstructions around the observing area I need to be able to move my scope around to some extent once it is setup. 

My principle aim over the past years though has been to have setups that are really quick and simple to put out and bring back in. That way I get much more observing in than I would if I used more complex setups. 

Nothing sadder than a decent scope not being used because, after the initial fit of enthusiasm, the owner finds that it's just too much effort / trouble to set up and tear down for what can turn out to be quite short sessions with the unpredictability of the UK weather. This is something that you kind of have to find out for yourself though. Looking back at the of setups that did not work out for me, I find the question "what were you thinking ?" springs to mind 🙄

At the time though, the potential downsides were over-ruled in my head by the rush of anticipation of "big, new kit" 😁

@John You talk total sense and wisdom John. I'm much less experienced than you but even after 5 years visual and almost 1 year imaging, I have learned that the best gear to buy is the gear you will actually use, and use most often. I was also caught up in the "aperture fever" early on ( still am, but much more sensible about what I now consider will be a practical, larger 'scope ) I think it is also fair to say, that with under 1 years worth of imaging experience under my proverbial belt, I am still caught up in the over-eagerness and excitement and desperation to get as much new gear, and as much imaging time outside as humanly possible. I feel I need to calm my excitement a little, and try just enjoy the ride more and not be so obsessed with what I might buy or image tomorrow.

Everything you say is totally sensible and shows your maturity and experince in the hobby John...

9 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

@wookie1965 Oh wow! Now that's something I've never thought of Paul!?? I could wheel all my gear along landings, then use it's frame as two handles to carry it down the stairs parts of the trip down and up?? Thanks so much Paul, I've never even thought of anything like this!? It could be such a game changer for me when having such a hard time with those damn stairs! 

Again thank you so much Paul, i'll almost certainly buy this or very similar device. I'll keep you/the thread posted on how I get on mate.

Kindest Regards and many thanks, Wes

• Like 1