Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher 130ps AZ5 upgrade

my telescope with original 10mm and 25 mm: https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-telescope-n-130-650-explorer-130ps-az-5/p,55150

and svbony set 6-9-15-20mm 68 degree UWA from aliexpress (i hope don't get forum block because of link): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32840105236.html

So, i have on this time 2 nights, and see only Jupiter with 3 satellites and orange Saturn with ring! With 10mm ok, with 9mm a little bigger - ok, with 6mm bigger - but picture not clear with 6mm!

1. Why no clear picture with 6mm? What i can do to make clear?

2. So, maybe i need some accessories else? Another eyepieces? Barlow? Please link to barlow what not so expensive! I'm not millionaire!

3. You all see sky through camera? or through eyepieces too?

4. Or my telescope so bad and better nothing do with that? )

At start i want see some objects with physical eye - in another topics i will start about astrocameras and other beginner questions )).

Your telescope and Svbony eyepiece set are of good quality. It's likely that you didn't get a clear view of Jupiter due to one or more of the following factors:

Seeing: Turbulence in the atmosphere has a profound impact on the view that you see through the eyepiece. Some nights have less turbulence, and some have more, and it can vary throughout the night. Seeing is also dependent on where you live. There are some places with consistently steady skies and some places that rarely offer good seeing.

Collimation: The mirrors of your telescope need to be accurately aligned to deliver the best views possible. Your telescope may be collimated well enough, but it will help to learn how to collimate it. Sort of like learning to tune a guitar allows it to sound good...

Other local conditions: If there's heat coming off of a roof, pavement, etc., that can degrade the view at the eyepiece.

The good news is that there's lots of information on all of this on these forums. Learning is part of the fun!

Hope this helps ☺️

Edited by The60mmKid

Also: The position of your target is important. When planets, stars, etc. are near the horizon, they are highly impacted by atmospheric turbulence. It's helpful to wait until they are higher in the sky if you want to increase the magnification.

The other thing to consider is the full moon. It will make faint targets difficult. Also, if you live somewhere with lots of light pollution it will have the same effect. I live in Bortle 5 - 6 and really need to go to a dark site for visual astronomy.

I have owned the the 130PS and it was a great introduction into astronomy. The telescope has a fixed primary mirror but a collimatable secondary mirror. I found collimation being slightly off was not noticeable unless I increased magnification, so I suggest you check this before doing anything else.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-125-aline-collimation-cap.html

https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/upfiles/en_download_caty01424817556.pdf

To get an idea as to what "seeing" conditions are, try going to a clear river and looking at the bottom , how well can you see things? In still waters you can see objects like rocks, fish or weeds quite clearly, when it's flowing the objects are disturbed and it's difficult to see the clarity. Similarly adding a Barlow is good when the sky is still, but if there's any flow, it only magnifies the disturbance .

A 2x Barlow is good to start with, just avoid the very cheap ones.

Chaz

Is the primary mirror spherical or parabolic? take this eventuality into consideration, I read on an astronomy forum in Italian of a Newton 130/650 with the spherical primary that gave the problem of your optics.

1 hour ago, Ser said:

Yes - city night! ((

And saturn low in horizont, in north sky it will always low as I understand!

What about Barlow? I need it?

I don't think you need one at this time because your eyepiece set covers a good range of magnification already.

1. I ask astroshop managers, they tell that with 6mm not clear because it neat range of my telescope, and reccomend bye 7mm.

2. And they sell that Barlow will loss quality in output.

3. What barlow recommended?, because I afraid if pay 50eur or 100eur I will not get good...

2 hours ago, Gonariu said:

Is the primary mirror spherical or parabolic? take this eventuality into consideration, I read on an astronomy forum in Italian of a Newton 130/650 with the spherical primary that gave the problem of your optics.

I don't know what is my type. Please give example with such parabolic telescopes.

8 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

I don't think you need one at this time because your eyepiece set covers a good range of magnification already.

I'll repeat my suggestion here. I don't think a barlow is what you need since you already have more magnification than you need and a good spread of eyepiece focal lengths.

If you still want a barlow (despite not needing one, in my opinion), Tele Vue makes an excellent 2x barlow and GSO makes ones that are good and less expensive.

My recommendation is to keep observing and reading so that you build up experience, rather than buying items that don't currently offer any benefit to you.

• Like 1

Yes! Bad telescope! ((( 500 eur in ass....

See astroshop managers answers:

Thanks for your reply !

Honestly, we have to stay clear. You're expecting to much from this telescope ! That's why my colleague suggested a 7mm eyepiece, maybe just an 8mm one. No need to talk about quality reducing while the use of an barlow element. Just a relatively small portion of quality loss, maybe one percent or less. 

Hellou! So i bought that:
my telescope with original 10mm and 25 mm: https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-telescope-n-130-650-explorer-130ps-az-5/p,55150

and svbony set 6-9-15-20mm 68 degree UWA from aliexpress (i hope don't get forum block because of link): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32840105236.html

So, i have on this time 2 nights, and see only Jupiter with 3 satellites and orange Saturn with ring! With 10mm ok, with 9mm a little bigger - ok, with 6mm bigger - but picture not clear with 6mm!

1. Why no clear picture with 6mm? What i can do to make clear? Maybe because i don't use your recommended 6mm one https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/levenhuk-eyepiece-ra-ler-6mm-1-25-/p,78246  ?
Another your college from astrashop tell me such:
"The Svbony eyepieces are good. For this telescopes, a 6mm eyepiece is too much maginification.
You could try with a 7mm: https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/omegon-eyepiece-cronus-wa-7-mm-1-25-/p,32983  "

2. On other e-mail he said: "Quality will reduce with a barlow!"
So what to do? I need a barlow? What about quality reducing? Barlow i need to use only with 20mm and 25mm oculars?

Edited by Cornelius Varley
Background colour removed

On 31/08/2023 at 10:55, Gonariu said:

Main mirror´s construction: parabolic

• 2 weeks later...

"So, i have on this time 2 nights, and see only Jupiter with 3 satellites and orange Saturn with ring! With 10mm ok, with 9mm a little bigger - ok, with 6mm bigger - but picture not clear with 6mm! "

I have a SkyWatcher 130p too. There isn't too much wrong with your scope if you're seeing Jupiter and it's satellites with a 10mm ocular   If conditions are absolutely perfect I can see clear images with 6mm ocular, although anything smaller I just get to see "floaters".

Rob