NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

End of an era, time to move on. Deforking and new mount advice.

Well it had to happen one day and the time is now here. I have an obsy down the garden that houses an LX200 12 gps that's given me sterling service for nearly twenty years, it looks like the electronics in the drive have finally given up the ghost, they have been falling over a little while and I always intended to remount the OTA and that time is now. 

Yes, I could dig in and look at repairing things but I really fancy an updated mount. So the question is really what mount to go with. I have a pier in the obsy so I really only need a spacer fabricating when I get the new head dimensions.  I'm not an AP guy so I'm not looking to get a a high end affair, though I'm sure a gem would be a vast improvement on a fork if I fancied a dabble. Dave at FLO has sent me a few links based on the weight of the OTA and I've had a look through those. The CEM70 caught my eye, would like folks opinions on that. The choices seem to be rather large to say the least. The biggest issue seems to be availability, I really would like to back in the astro saddle as soon as possible.

Also interested in the deforking issue, from those that have gone down this route. Seems reasonably straightforward but maybe a few pointers from those that have done it.

• Like 1

Hello,

I de forked my LX90 some years ago, and it was a pretty simple job, not sure how different the LX200 is, the only bit of advice there is to make sure you loosen the screws in both fork arms, this allows the tube to be pulled free much more easily, and more importantly stops it getting scratched while removing…

It was a 10 minute job.

This may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrTELZQnYak

As for the CEM70, I have just got one, and  fitted in my obsy, but I am purely an imager, I have not used in anger as of yet, but from the research I did, which was pretty extensive, it should be a great mount…and probably perfect for your needs.

Edited by Stuart1971

36 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hello,

I de forked my LX90 some years ago, and it was a pretty simple job, not sure how different the LX200 is, the only bit of advice there is to make sure you loosen the screws in both fork arms, this allows the tube to be pulled free much more easily, and more importantly stops it getting scratched while removing…

It was a 10 minute job.

This may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrTELZQnYak

As for the CEM70, I have just got one, and  fitted in my obsy, but I am purely an imager, I have not used in anger as of yet, but from the research I did, which was pretty extensive, it should be a great mount…and probably perfect for your needs.

Thanks for that stuart👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose a large and steady alt-az mount will suit you well if you are visual only. If you don’t need goto, maybe something like a Rowan AZ75/100?

I was about to suggest a harmonic drive mount but if it sits in an obsy, then traditional mounts will do. Or you can get a Pegasus Nyx-101 for a far lighter mount that could be transported and used in alt-az mode if needed.