Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseids - Stacking?

brenski

Does anyone know of a simple method for stacking Meteor showers that were imaged using a tracked mount?

I can't find a method for this for either DSS or Sequator

Is it possible, if so what would be the workflow?

thanks

What exactly do you want to achieve with that? What sort of effect?

Stacking is performed in order to enhance features that are repeating in the images.

Meteor trails are transient features and appear on single frame. With normal stacking they will be seriously weakened or even erased (if using sigma clipping).

If you want to achieve similar effect like in star trail images - background sky full with meteor trails - then stack with maximum rather then average function (just align on stars as you normally would) and then use max function.

Alternatively - you can combine two approaches for best effect:

1. Stack one image with sigma reject to get nice background image

2. Stack one image with max method to get all the star trails

3. Combine the two images by stretching first more and second less and again using max method (or some alternative with layers in PS/Gimp)

41 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

What exactly do you want to achieve with that? What sort of effect?

Stacking is performed in order to enhance features that are repeating in the images.

Meteor trails are transient features and appear on single frame. With normal stacking they will be seriously weakened or even erased (if using sigma clipping).

If you want to achieve similar effect like in star trail images - background sky full with meteor trails - then stack with maximum rather then average function (just align on stars as you normally would) and then use max function.

Alternatively - you can combine two approaches for best effect:

1. Stack one image with sigma reject to get nice background image

2. Stack one image with max method to get all the star trails

3. Combine the two images by stretching first more and second less and again using max method (or some alternative with layers in PS/Gimp)

i think I was hoping for what now appears impossible:

I wanted to stack the Meteors showing the radiant with a starry background. I wasn;t intended to capture any landscape and don;t really want star trails - hence the tracked/stacked idea

1 minute ago, brenski said:

I wanted to stack the Meteors showing the radiant with a starry background.

If you want that - then do what I've suggested above.

Make two stacks from same alignment data - you align all your images on stars, so stars will be fixed.

Stack using max will show all meteor trails emanating from radiant (like fireworks image), while stacking with sigma clip will give you nice star field image without meteor trails.

Then you need to combine the two to superimpose meteor trails onto nice star field image.

• Like 1

You can also manually align them in PS or GIMP and change the layer blend modes per image so they only add the bright meteor trails (off hand I think it's lighten blend mode). Auto stacking however will be quicker.