NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3 nights on the bounce!!!

GazOC

For the first time in what seems like ages I've managed 3 decent nights (Sat, Sun and Mon) observing on the run. Conditions on Saturday were very average but Sunday and Monday were noticeably better.

I managed to knock off most of the big Leo/ Coma galaxies and all the Uma ones (except for M101, maybe my eyes are on the slide!!!). The binary Cor Carroli is a nice looking jump off point for M63, M94 and M106.

The globs M3 and M53 were amazing in my 14" holding up to x315 on occasion but I didn't stay up late enough for M13 on any of the nights.

I got a great view of Saturn on Monday, banding was very evident, 4 moons close to the disk, the rings are starting to open up and the gap between the rings and the planet was easy to see.

Lets hope the decent weather continues eh?

"Lets hope the decent weather continues eh?"

Well I certainly hope it does.. great to hear you've been having a good run. :)

I wonder why M101 is eluding you, though. Have you tried backing down on the magnification and tapping the OTA to make the target dance a bit? A moving target's easier to see. Give it a try.. worked a treat with my 8" SCT on the two Herschel 400 lists.

Great feeling in't it ? 2x nights on the trot for me but a few weeks back around the 18th March, had great weather for about 10x yes 10x days ! Had my scope out more often in that period than in the whole six months prior to it.

Getting the scope out almost feels like a nightly routine ATM !!:)

Nice one Gaz, the good run is certainly unusual. M101 can be tricky but I would have thought your 14" wouldn't have too much of a problem. The big globs are a neat sight.

Sam

Glad you had fun Gaz. I must admit I went to bed last night, two really late nights on Sat and Sun and I wasn't at my best for work yesterday, so... But it might be clear again tonight!

Helen

So now its your turn to reassure me eh Mick!!:)

Thanks for the comments everyone, its been great to be able to leave my scope set up overnight and just walk out and use it as and when without worry about a downpoor!!

I'm got to go out tonght, but I think I'll be making my excuses and leaving early!!

Archived