Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn and Jupiter in IR (26/07/23)

Kon

I had a go at Saturn and Jupiter this morning (4am). I did not bother with colour captures as I could not get any focus due to the jetstream. The IR faired better. I tried some methane captures but they looked awful as focus was keep and going. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mm, IR 685, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.png.0fdf7f04f04d2e0266fe0a18524c01be.png image.png.a091a9e8c631870586b4a116ff29f1ad.png

• Like 15

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Nice captures Kostas 👍. I will wait to they appear at a more appropriate hour before giving this a try.

Thanks. Yes it was an early wake up but nice to be out and see Jupiter for the first time this apparition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Good effort Kostas. That June seeing seems a long time ago now 🙂 Hopefully we'll get the good stuff nearer opposition 🤞

Thanks Stuart. That June week was just amazing, wasn't it? I still got out despite knowing the Jetstream was overhead as I wanted to have something to play with. July seems to be a write off.

• Like 1

You did really well. I could not do color on 678 due to super jet stream (for lack of a better word), switched to 610 and 462mm but the results were still iffy.

Bottom line is...seeing is everything, even in IR, albeit a bit less so. But still...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BGazing said:

You did really well. I could not do color on 678 due to super jet stream (for lack of a better word), switched to 610 and 462mm but the results were still iffy.

Bottom line is...seeing is everything, even in IR, albeit a bit less so. But still...

Thanks. I know what you mean. When the IR is suffering you know it's bad. I was very surprised how bad the methane capture suffered as it's much deeper in red. The next few weeks are not going to be better either.