NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27 HOO-need opinions

Rodd

Well, I had high hopes for this image, though I probably shouldn't have  (in general bicolor images give me trouble).  The probvlem is the lack of red (Ha).  The Ha stack is strong, but the maority of the Ha regions came out virtually colorless.  Like the white regions in images of the veil--no chroma.  I struggled to bring out red and this is about as much as I can get.  Does anybody know why this is gappening?  Any suggestions would e welcome.  I suppose the snswer is to collect SII--but I am not particularilly fond of Hubble Palette versions of M27.  lately my sky has mafe broadband very difficult.

C11Edge with .7x reducer and ASI 1600.  44 300 sec Ha; 36 300 sec OIII.  Bin2

z2.thumb.jpg.29c4729d44f473c6e269d5e7fd68bdf8.jpg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I struggled to bring out red and this is about as much as I can get.  Does anybody know why this is gappening? 

Hi, thats odd indeed. Generally you end up getting more red than you want. Perhaps if you explain the process you are following to integrate the Ha that would help us understand better. It almost looks as if the Ha is getting mapped to wrong colour during the integration. Posting your unprocessed images would help too.

Edited by AstroMuni

2 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Hi, thats odd indeed. Generally you end up getting more red than you want. Perhaps if you explain the process you are following to integrate the Ha that would help us understand better. It almost looks as if the Ha is getting mapped to wrong colour during the integration. Posting your unprocessed images would help too.

It is a simple HOO combination (Ha to red and OIII to green and blue).  I tried inserting Ha as lum--didn't like it.  Then I combined Ha and OIII and used that as lum--that was better, but it helped SNR and detail more than color.  I checked and the Ha region is nowhere close to being clipped.  You see white regions in the veil as well--but they are not that extensive.  Here, it ruins the image

6 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Here is the image with a bit more red--I masked out the blue and green regions and used pixel math to add Ha to the Ha regions.  It helps, but still does not seem right

Edited by Rodd

17 hours ago, Rodd said:

Here is the image with a bit more red--I masked out the blue and green regions and used pixel math to add Ha to the Ha regions.  It helps, but still does not seem right

Its looking much better now. What software are you using to integrate?

EDIT: have you equalized the images before combining them?

Edited by AstroMuni

7 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Its looking much better now. What software are you using to integrate?

EDIT: have you equalized the images before combining them?

Good idea. I’ll try that. I use PI. I decided to collect SII. Here is the SHO result.  I am under whelmed. Time to cut my losses   My heart was never in this target anyway  

2A8AFE23-CEF5-42CF-871A-70CE10EC806C.thumb.jpeg.9b14ba17d441fd57a993c6dfadbbae62.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

@Rodd why dont you post the stacked fits files for each of Ha, Oiii so others can have a go at it. They should be able to advice you on the PI side. I use Siril and can certainly try that way too.

Great idea.  I will do that when I get home 

17 minutes ago, peter shah said:

that is strange Rodd... definitely lost the red in the outer shell somehow...I suspect it is there in the raw data though.....still a great image all the same

Thanks Peter.  Transparency has been terrible lately.  The outer extensions are very faint in this data.  I should collect about 10 more hours, but I am not particularly fond of this nebula and am tired of fighting with it.  I prefer broadband anyway for PNs and the Moon is starting to intrude.  I was very disappointed in the HOO result.

18 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

@Rodd why dont you post the stacked fits files for each of Ha, Oiii so others can have a go at it. They should be able to advice you on the PI side. I use Siril and can certainly try that way too.

13 hours ago, carastro said:

Can you post the stacks in tiff format as well, l would  like to have a go in photoshop.

Carole 

Here ya go.

h44.fit

o36.fit

s26.fit

h44.tif

o36.tif

s26.tif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I couldn't do any better, there should be Ha signal in the outer halo, but I don't think there is enough signal in the Ha.

Yeah, maybe I need to collect more Ha. My last HOO has more visible in outer part, but transparency was very poor. I verified I didn’t use the wrong filter (that has happened before).  

• Like 1