Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Counterbalance options

Mark Henthorne

I have an original Pulsar 2.1m observatory which I currently preparing for the forthcoming season. In this, I have an astro-engineering pier atop of which sits an AZEQ6 with a MN190 mounted upon it. The counterbalance bar has the extension bar attached and the two supplied weights sit just on the start of the extension bar. 

My question is, what are members opinions as to whether it is better left this way, or should I get an addtional weight and lose the extension bar to gain less obstructed space? Clearly within the confines of a 2.1m observatory, a shorter balance bar would be advantageous, but other considerations may apply that haven't occurred to me.

Thanks in advance for anyone's time in responding.

Thanks to all for your replies. No negatives with regards going for more weight on a shorter bar, so looks like I am off to get another weight and shorten the counterweight bar.

I have to say though that the spit tennis ball will be remaining in place if at all possible!  It's a few years now since I lost my youthful protective of cushion of hair.

Best wishes,

Mark

20230725_214132.jpg

• Haha 1

Well, as we all know every astronomical issue brings with it another £50+ solution. At least on this occasion, it is just a couple of £ over and nowhere near three figures. So the new AZEQ6 GT weight is ordered at FLO and with luck will be in situ in a few days time 😀. I must admit, I won't miss the protrusion loss, with it making navigation around the observatory that bit easier.

• Like 1

Ahh, the Pacman,  yes. If the three weights end up at the top of the bar, my head may still need protection if room remains to fit it. Otherwise, it will be gracefully retired to the Home of Rest for Old Pacmen, unless of course it can have a new lease of life in a new home. Any offers anyone?