Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus

Richard N

Congratulations on your 1st daytime viewing of Venus 🙂 

It is easy to find than you think, even without the GOTO. As long as you know the altitude, direction and i find separation from Sun helps me as well.

I have a pair of 9 X 63 binoculars that are pretty left focused on the stars/planets which i use to carefully scan the sky. Once i find Venus in Bino's, i then switch to the finder scope.

The more you look from your location, the easy it gets the next time.

• Like 4

I’ve been observing Venus during daylight since February. I started doing this as Venus is poorly placed from my garden when it gets dark. Often after I’ve done some solar too.

I use a PushTo feature in an iPhone app to find it. Works every time. Personally I find Venus better in daylight - better seeing as it’s higher in the sky. No need for filters.

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 3

Congratulations @Richard N

Many years ago, I was attending my local astro. society/club public outreach event. One member slewed his ‘scope [a five or six inch refractor] on Jupiter and then M57. These were ‘visible’ during daytime hours. It was surreal viewing them in a blue sky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

Many years ago, I was attending my local astro. society/club public outreach event. One member slewed his ‘scope [a five or six inch refractor] on Jupiter and then M57. These were ‘visible’ during daytime hours. It was surreal viewing them in a blue sky.

M57? In daylight? Amazing indeed.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

M57! I struggle to see that in my Bortle 7 sky in moonlight😀 But this does remind me. Last year my daughter had some friends over and I showed them some sunspots (there happened to be a good selection). However, they were due to leave before it got dark. So, for something to do I tried to find Jupiter in daylight. This was surprisingly easy, seeing good and the GRS in view which I did not expect. At first they couldn’t understand and were amazed that looking up at the sky, naked eye, there seemed to be nothing, but in the telescope there was Jupiter with its spot in full view. And as the sky got a little darker the Galilean moons “mysteriously” pooped into view. Great fun!

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 3