Zwo cooled camera supply voltage 15V

900SL

Zwo state that input voltage is 12V to 15V on their cooled cameras.

Anybody ran theirs on 15V? Reason I ask is that I have a USB C PD powerbank that can supply 15V 3A ( but not 12V :( )

can the powerbank be adjusted, or even modifiable?  if so, then it should be possible to fit a 7812 series regulator, as long as it will supply the current required by the camera...

5 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

can the powerbank be adjusted, or even modifiable?  if so, then it should be possible to fit a 7812 series regulator, as long as it will supply the current required by the camera...

It's easier to run 15V PD from a USB-C socket.

It's a new Anker Powercore III Elite 25600 mA so I don't want to invalidate the warranty. I'm a bit annoyed Anker didn't implement the 12V PD protocol, it supplies 9V, 15 & 20V but not 12V

PD is pretty good onboard, it's more efficient than using an external step up or step down buck converter

1 hour ago, 900SL said:

It's easier to run 15V PD from a USB-C socket.

It's a new Anker Powercore III Elite 25600 mA so I don't want to invalidate the warranty. I'm a bit annoyed Anker didn't implement the 12V PD protocol, it supplies 9V, 15 & 20V but not 12V

PD is pretty good onboard, it's more efficient than using an external step up or step down buck converter

How would you initiate the handshake between the camera and powerbank to supply the 15v? 

What else do you need to power? 

4 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

How would you initiate the handshake between the camera and powerbank to supply the 15v? 

What else do you need to power? 

15V PD trigger cable. These are USB-C cables with a built in PD trigger chip that does the initial handshake.

I have a 12V USB-C trigger cable, but this defaults to 9V if the 12V protocol is not enabled in the power bank side

• Like 1

I've started using these adapters. It's a USB C female to 5.5/2.1mm male. It contains a chip to trigger the PD supply to whatever was specified. I have a bunch of 12V ones, and luckily my PD supplies all deliver 12V. Delivers up to 3A, or whatever the supply can deliver.

IMG_5668.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

Zwo state that input voltage is 12V to 15V on their cooled cameras.

Anybody ran theirs on 15V? Reason I ask is that I have a USB C PD powerbank that can supply 15V 3A ( but not 12V :( )

I have a 15volt power supply, measured it before using it and it came out at 16.2volts. I would leave a margin for error....

Adam

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

I have a 15volt power supply, measured it before using it and it came out at 16.2volts. I would leave a margin for error....

Adam

I was just about to say, it's probably 15v nominal, may be a fair bit higher.

Just my thoughts; get the right tool for the job or risk an expensive mistake.

17 hours ago, Starflyer said:

I was just about to say, it's probably 15v nominal, may be a fair bit higher.

Just my thoughts; get the right tool for the job or risk an expensive mistake.

Yes, I don't want to risk a cooled astrocam on a 10 dollar cable, on reflection..

I've found a 12V out powerbank that should do the job

Sandberg_All_in_One_Laptop_Powerbank_24000_3192.thumb.jpg.8ee62f6f9e52cf2fa997116327daec16.jpg

• Like 2

Trouble with those 12v outputs is that they aren’t regulated.  Ok, but you’ll only get about half the rated capacity before the output drops below 10.5v. 

1 hour ago, 900SL said:

Yes, I don't want to risk a cooled astrocam on a 10 dollar cable, on reflection..

I've found a 12V out powerbank that should do the job

Sandberg_All_in_One_Laptop_Powerbank_24000_3192.thumb.jpg.8ee62f6f9e52cf2fa997116327daec16.jpg

I've never had a cooling issue for my 183 camera with either my Celestron Lithium LT or my Talentcell 72W 12v outs powering my entire AP rigs (including powering the mount (gem28/azgti) and asiair), one battery powering it all.

Edited by Elp

On 04/07/2023 at 14:37, AstroKeith said:

Trouble with those 12v outputs is that they aren’t regulated.  Ok, but you’ll only get about half the rated capacity before the output drops below 10.5v. 

I just did a stress test, ran the cooled camera at 60% cooling, ASI Air and Fornax mount from the 12V supply. It ran for 3.5 hours to 50% and took 120 frames no issues, no disconnects or any sign of low voltage. I'll set it up again running through an Anderson powerpole bus bar so I can measure the supply voltage v time, but so far works fine. For a holiday power pack it's good to go.