Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ontario Telescope and Accessories legit ?

Hello people

I am excited about the ZWO Seester S50  anticipated to hit the shops sometime soon.  I already have it on pre order at £459 which looks like such a great price, however, Ontario Telescope and Accessories online store (Canada),  is offering this at about £319 and claiming they can ship to my address in the UK for about £6!

They do say that when something looks too good to be true then it probably is!  Does anybody have experience of this dealer, particularly buying stuff from overseas with them please?

Where is the catch?

Thanks

Davw

The shipping charge seems a bit light, can't even post within the UK at such a rate. You'll immediately be charged 20pc VAT on the item value plus shipping upon the item entering the UK. Maybe also import charges depending on the item commodity code (see gov website for commodity code check, you'll need the exporters HS commodity code that the item falls under which is an international shipping requirement and should be outlined on any exportation documentation/commercial shipping invoice, from that you can check if theres any import duty), they'll also maybe a small handling charge by the agency/courier which does the import checking when it arrives in the UK.

1 minute ago, Elp said:

The shipping charge seems a bit light, can't even post within the UK at such a rate. You'll immediately be charged 20pc VAT on the item value plus shipping upon the item entering the UK. Maybe also import charges depending on the item commodity code (see gov website for commodity code check, you'll need the exporters HS commodity code that the item falls under which is an international shipping requirement and should be outlined on any exportation documentation/commercial shipping invoice, from that you can check if theres any import duty), they'll also maybe a small handling charge by the agency/courier which does the import checking when it arrives in the UK.

Yeah thanks I suppose I'l stick with my original order. It's odd that Canada can do it for so much less though?!!!

It is, some of their other items are at usual UK prices which will end up costing more due to the added VAT. Maybe it's a temporary promo just to increase interest.

Edited by Elp

5 hours ago, davekelley said:

Hello people

I am excited about the ZWO Seester S50  anticipated to hit the shops sometime soon.  I already have it on pre order at £459 which looks like such a great price, however, Ontario Telescope and Accessories online store (Canada),  is offering this at about £319 and claiming they can ship to my address in the UK for about £6!

They do say that when something looks too good to be true then it probably is!  Does anybody have experience of this dealer, particularly buying stuff from overseas with them please?

Where is the catch?

Thanks

Davw

Remember, in North America, you need to add sales tax or VAT to the advertised price.  Only excise taxes on tobacco and alcohol products along with fuel taxes are hidden in the advertised price here.  With thousands of taxing jurisdictions, it's just not feasible to include the taxes in online prices.  Sales taxes are collected at the local levels of government, not at the national level as in Europe.  It helps to ease property and local income taxes somewhat.

I have no experience with overseas shipping but I have been to their showroom less than an hour drive from me and spoke to Steve (owner of ontario telescope) on many occasions, he also owns Starfield telescopes. 

Edited by Sunshine