Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount for my WO Megrez II ????

Albireo380

I recently got a WO Megrez II 80mm refractor. It was bought primarily to "grab 'n go". And it does that very nicely, sitting on my photo tripod.

But I got thinking. I would like to do some astrophotography (relatively wide field) using this 'scope (at prime focus with a focal length of 500mm, it would give a nice wide field of view and should show up open clusters etc very nicely).

So I need a driven mount. Before I go and splash out some hard earned cash, I also had another thought. What if I ever want to use the new mount for a bigger 'scope? Should I get a mount that is far too big and heavy duty for my current needs, but gives me room for expansion?

SO..... What I am wondering is, with an 80mm refractor and a possible larger refractor in the future, what mount/tripod should I be considering. I hear people raving about the EQ6 - but it is massive. Should I consider an HEQ5 or EQ5? Are these also "overkill" ?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be gratefully received. I don't have any astro shops to "drop in " on within 150 miles, so I can't see the alternatives "in the flesh".

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom,

Never worry about over kill with a mount..You can't have too big.

I have an HEQ5, superb mount.. Hoof it about without too much trouble and steady as a rock. Not really "True grab and go" But It breaks down into 3 easy pieces for transporting.

EQ6 is the daddy....Either one would be excellent for imaging.

Have youany idea what scopes you may want to use the mount for in future? All the mounts you mentioned and the one Steve has can hold the Megrez easily, so I'd guess you'd need to think about what else you need it to carry?

Good question Gaz, Perhaps a 5 inch refractor? Haven't really thought that far ahead. just know that my 8" SCT is a great all rounder, but need the small refractor for wide field. Then I guess I might want better planetary contrast than I get from the SCT (where the contrast is poor). So a 4-5 inch refractor is a possibility. Of course, you can get Mak's cheaper these days. And there is always a Newt. So, I think I have covered the main types of 'scope - which means the simple answer is "I don't know what other / bigger 'scope I might want later on"

So not much help then.

Tom

LOL! Tom :)

Just to give you a (very, very rough idea)

EQ5 = 5" refractor, 8" Newt, 6-7" Mak

HEQ5 = 6" refractor, 10" Newt, 8" Mak

EQ6 = 8" refractor, 12-14" Newt, more Mak than you can afford!!! :lol:

If you want the mount to be portable but capable of carrying heavier scopes as you change your gear then I'd go for the HEQ5.

Hope this helps.

Great Gaz, that is exactly the sort of information I was hoping for. I think it is an HEQ5 that I go for. It seems to give the right level of flexibility, without being complete overkill - now just need to save up the pennies, then go for it.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Archived