NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Progressing from a Redcat 51

Just after some advice if that's possible? I have been imaging for around 6 months now (when it's not Cloudy) - here is my current setup:

Williams Optics Redcat 51
ASI2600mc pro
ASI AM5 Mount
ASIair Pro
Williams Optics Guide Scope
ASI 120mm Mini Guide Camera

What I have realised is this is a cracking portable setup which is great at taking wider view images of the larger nebula targets, but not so good for galaxies, planets and lunar. As we move through the months into galaxy and globular cluster season i'm struggling with fewer and fewer targets. Tries M3 last night but without cropping to a silly level the cluster is just too small to see.

I do have a Celestron Starsense Explorer DX 130az - which is not designed for astrophotography,  I just about got my 2600mc to work with it (DSLR won't work because not enough inward travel) - but the single night I did use  on a galaxy all the stars away from the centre of the image were really elongated, and you can add anything else like a field flattener as these is not enough space to add without not being able to get any focus.

I'm looking for recommendations for a OTA that would be a good multipurpose fit for Galaxies, Planets and Lunar - which using as much as I can from the setup above (albeit I know I will need a camera more suited to planetary astrophotography).

Don't want to break the bank (too badly), but as you can see from the kit above I would rather buy quality once than cheap multiple times.

Many Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

You’ve not mentioned the tripod - its the second most import item after the mount head for providing stability.

Your mount has a relatively high load capacity.

There’s no “one size fits all I’m afraid”,

something for planets isn’t so good for galaxies due to required guiding accuracy.

You could try something link 200PD-S, a Newtonian astrograph. c£430

It would need an appropriate coma corrector, c£130 or so.

FoV around 1.58x1.06

A Matsukov 127, c£370, FoV 0.9x0.6

Or you are in the realm of the ED80 (StellaMyra, Evolux etc) refractors many around the £600 mark.

All seem to be well regarded - Don’t ask me tho!, I have too many.

The above are all cheaper than the Redcat, FoV is probably around 5.3x3.6 degrees.

Your budget may be the breaker - or keep with the Redcat for a bit longer

I’ve not checked how suitable these are with the camera specifically.

Edited by iapa

On 14/06/2023 at 14:59, Bargy said:

I'm looking for recommendations for a OTA that would be a good multipurpose fit for Galaxies, Planets and Lunar

IMO there isn’t one. I have two telescopes: Skywatcher ED80 refractor with a focal length of 510mm with reducer/flattener and a 1000mm focal length Newtonian reflector. The refractor is good for similar targets as your redcat, albeit with half the field of view.  So it’s good for medium-sized nebulae and larger galaxies. Not so good for lunar and pretty useless for planets, globular clusters etc. My 1000mm Newtonian is good for lunar and not bad for a range of small to medium sized galaxies. Useless for M31 for example but good for M33.  The reflector doesn’t have quite enough focal length for global clusters like M13 for example. Stars have very poor coma at the edges too.  It’s also pretty underpowered  for imaging planets, small galaxies, planetary nebulae etc. I think the latter targets require focal lengths in the region of 2000mm. Longer focal lengths put far more demand on everything including the mount as far as guiding is concerned.

I will be interested to read what you decide because I have recently acquired an AM5 for use here in Oxfordshire. ( I use the AZ-EQ6 in Cornwall.). I’m looking at ~100mm aperture refractors, including astrographs. I can’t decide what focal length to aim for: ~250mm, ~500mm or ~750mm.  A 1000mm refractor would be too heavy for me and the AM5 mount.  Good luck. 

It is ultimately the one you use the most.

Bad news, it can take years to work out what that is.

I still don’t know my favourite, 2yrs lack of interest but still buying OTAs on the ‘off chance’

Got the mojo back so, looking at everything in, what I think, as a (slow) step by step process

With a bit of added cost there is a one scope option, I've got it. My C6 does 300mm HS, 1000mm F6.3 reduced and 1500mm native (3000mm 2x barlowed). A C8 will give you more resolution but added weight.

Does it give Hubble clarity, no, but I haven't seen reason to replace it.

Edited by Elp

I tend to agree the C6, fairly flexible with the reducer and weight.

The c8 will come in at around 14lb with a evoguide, 2600 and focuser. The mount will support easily.

I think the OP probably needs to look at existing tripod as the AM5 is capable of quire a large load,  but needs a good base to sit on.

Likely without a counterweight, one of the issues with these HD mounts. Probably even more important they're used on a very sturdy tripod. The C6 at 1000mm benefits from an OAG to save weight, a benefit of the am5 you don't need to faff around so much with declination balance, but I have read a few times they struggle with long focal lengths due to the strainwave gear tech, is this true?