Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher mount performance

recceranger

I’m really beginning to question the build quality and reliability of Skywatcher products, especially their mounts. 

1. Firstly, my recently purchased Star Adventurer GTI has major issues with the RA access, resulting in very poor performance when guiding. I’m very lucky if I can get the error below 2.00. There is about a cm of play when the RA axis is locked and although I’ve recently tightened this using the small screw under the weight bar, the guiding remains poor. 

2. Secondly, the motherboard on my AZ EQ6 Pro mount malfunctioned requiring me to purchase a new on and have it fitted at the cost of £200+. 

3. Third, one of the bolds on my AZ EQ6 saddle sheered off (please see attached image). I’m only glad it didn’t happen when mounting my Esprit 120! I’ve had to purchase an ADM saddle as I know longer trust the Skywatcher version. 

4. Lastly, one of the small hexagonal lug screws that attach my Esprit 120 focuser plate was fused when I took it out of the box. This seems like a minor issue, but because I can’t remove it, I cannot fit my EAF. This means I can’t get max automation when using my scope. 

Although SW glass is superb, the finishing to their products isn’t high quality at all. I think I’ll try a new manufacturer going forward. It’s the old saying; buy cheap by twice. 

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

• Sad 1

... and their supposed stainless steel, obviously isn't, & the chrome is also a joke !!   You also need to be reasonable proficient at stripping them down, cleaning the crap & re-greasing.....   

• Like 1

Yes, the quality of the Skywatcher products leaves something to be desired, if one accepts all the complaints. But you get what you pay for. Is there anything cheaper or as cheap as the Skywatcher kit that is better made? I don't think so.  If you think the product is really unacceptable, you have the option of returning it under warranty.

I have seen beautifully made mounts at astro shows, but with eye-watering price tags.  

In the same vein, if you wanted a premium quality car, what would you buy? A Merc or BMW, or the cheapest marque on the forecourt? 

I have some Skywatcher products. They didn't cost a fortune, and they work.

• Like 3

I agree that Skywatcher products are a bit rough, but i think the pricing makes it tolerable because there are really no alternatives. I have 3 SW mounts: EQM35, AZEQ6 and an AZ5. All had signs of rough handling during assembly inside and metal flakes or some other particulates mixed in with the grease.

The main issue is that Synta has a monopoly on cheap mounts so there is no reason to innovate or try to compete. Skywatcher, Celestron (and Orion i think) are Synta made with different paint jobs. All are very cheap. The next step up i Ioptron which is considerably more expensive and still not a guaranteed good purchase.

Some other manufacturer would have to step up and start producing "dumb" EQ mounts (no electronic this, encoder that, Ipolar whatsit and smartphone app, wifi, harmonic drive etc, Just a block of steel with well machined gears is all one needs) at a low price to start a fire under the established brands. Probably not happening any time soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Yes, the quality of the Skywatcher products leaves something to be desired, if one accepts all the complaints. But you get what you pay for. Is there anything cheaper or as cheap as the Skywatcher kit that is better made? I don't think so.  If you think the product is really unacceptable, you have the option of returning it under warranty.

I have seen beautifully made mounts at astro shows, but with eye-watering price tags.  

In the same vein, if you wanted a premium quality car, what would you buy? A Merc or BMW, or the cheapest marque on the forecourt? 

I have some Skywatcher products. They didn't cost a fortune, and they work.

As I said in OP, buy cheap buy twice