Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

starfield 102

I find the starfield a nice bit of kit to use. I use it mainly for observing but i do put a dslr on it from time to time. The annoying problem i have with it is, the thumb screw dosnt seem sufficient to stop the complete focuser and tube twisting. I find that i really have to crank this screw up very tight for it to hold. In fact i have even  considered using pliars on it but i have stopped short of that. Has anyone else got the same problem or is my scope faulty. I know about the baader twist lock upgrade, but this is the thumb screw for the tube. Any help and advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

I had a similar thing with my 152mm starwave ... ( a scope that i sold and will buy back soon ) .. i think there is a way of tightening the focuser although i wasnt brave enough to try. But it is unerving although it never caused any real problems 

• Like 1

Mine holds position well and the only time its moved has been locking and unlocking the Axil lock. I now have the M63 Baader clicklock on it which removes having to apply turning force on the draw tube. I never move the position of the focuser now and instead just rotate the diagonal with the clicklock.

• Like 1

The baader clicklock is a great system i have it on my 2" baader diagonal and will fit the click lock on the starfield. I do find at times with the e q mount  it is very useful at times to turn the focus tube into a better position. On reflection it would not be a big job for the manufacturer to add a second thumb screw. As a telescope the starfield has a lot going for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, apaulo said:

In fact i have even  considered using pliars on it

Don't.  I've twisted plenty of Chinese/Taiwanese sourced screws completely in two just using finger pressure.  Some others took using pliers to twist them in two.  Once twisted in two, you'll need to drill out the portion stuck in the device and retap larger threads.

15 hours ago, apaulo said:

The baader clicklock is a great system i have it on my 2" baader diagonal and will fit the click lock on the starfield. I do find at times with the e q mount  it is very useful at times to turn the focus tube into a better position. On reflection it would not be a big job for the manufacturer to add a second thumb screw. As a telescope the starfield has a lot going for it.

Exactly that, buy the Baader clicklock 

Good idea Michael, It might be possible to take the screw out and make a point at the end of it. I havnt considered that option yet. A harder screw might be a better option, something that wont snap easily and maybe high tensile steel, all ideas are very welcome.