NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A very cloudy Venus (7/6/23)

Kon

After the excellent weekend, tonights session was not as impressive but Venus is completely covered in clouds. I could only see the two white patches at the poles during my capture and the rest was very dark. Interesting development of the cloud features. My usual setup. False colour. 

image.png.598a91e9370df06140694b5c1ae3ddd2.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

At least with Venus even if seeing is less good you still get a different look.

A Brazil nut came to mind when I first saw the live view last night. 🙂

Thanks. During my capture it looked like an overstretched image in registax 🤣. I was a bit 'baffled' but it was good to see the same result with your image.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Yes, I wondered if the limbs were going to be burnt out after sharpening! 

The crescent is developing fast now. We've been so lucky to have the good conditions when there was still plenty of surface area.

I agree, not long left; I plan to stop in the next few weeks or when clouds are hard to see. We can then wait for Neil's efforts in the morning Venus.

On 07/06/2023 at 21:27, Kon said:

After the excellent weekend, tonights session was not as impressive but Venus is completely covered in clouds. I could only see the two white patches at the poles during my capture and the rest was very dark. Interesting development of the cloud features. My usual setup. False colour. 

image.png.598a91e9370df06140694b5c1ae3ddd2.png

strong dark contrasty cloud. Its almost totally taken over. Like a UV blanket

On 08/06/2023 at 12:37, Kon said:

I agree, not long left; I plan to stop in the next few weeks or when clouds are hard to see. We can then wait for Neil's efforts in the morning Venus.

Got a lot to live up to. You guys doing so well. If i dont get the high pressure. Wont be as good. you both knocked it out of the ball park 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

strong dark contrasty cloud. Its almost totally taken over. Like a UV blanket

I couldn't get out last night to see it's development but I have not see anything like this before.

Interesting view as others have said, it does feel like the best time has passed. It will be interesting to see the arc size grow and phase shrink over the coming weeks. I have captured a pretty thin crescent before and hopefully there will be a chance again this time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Interesting view as others have said, it does feel like the best time has passed. It will be interesting to see the arc size grow and phase shrink over the coming weeks. I have captured a pretty thin crescent before and hopefully there will be a chance again this time.

I agree and it's the reason I decided to stop UV imaging but some IR imaging is in the books for the thin crescent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

I agree and it's the reason I decided to stop UV imaging but some IR imaging is in the books for the thin crescent.

I think from memory, i think i have managed a 3% illuminated disc. Obviously this depends on the separation from the sun, not looked yet to see how far apart they are this time. I think again from memory when i captured last time it was over 10 degrees.

Still very close and precautions must be taken to avoid accidents. I use my shed to make it impossible to accidently point at the Sun.

• Like 1