NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan App Update Experiences

Zermelo

I thought it might be useful to have a thread where new versions of the Synscan app are discussed, and experiences compared.

The emphasis would be on behavioural aspects that are known or suspected to relate to changes in the software, rather than other issues that people are having with their setup – probably better to open a separate discussion for the latter.

[EDIT: this wording sounds like it relates just to issues introduced, but that wasn't my intention. Fixes for previous bugs, and functional enhancements, would be as newsworthy]

There is now a decent version change history for the app here. I notice there has also been a new issue of the User’s Manual here, which happens only sporadically.

Latest versions of the app itself are available on the different platform stores, and also here. Ancillary software (loaders, mount controller firmware) is available here.

One thing that I have learned is always to take a backup of the current app version before you update it, as it’s not unknown for new versions to have bugs. I do this using the Cx File Explorer app (select “apps” from the home screen, long press on the app in the list, and select “backup” in the context menu). If I ever need to fall back, I uninstall the latest version and re-load the backup by clicking on the file in file explorer.

App updates usually preserve user settings, but it’s worth checking. In particular, the default for vibration in the user interface settings is “on”, and the default upper altitude limit is less than 90°. On Android, the location permission is usually preserved too but, if not, you will need to re-grant.

Edited by Zermelo
Inserted text in green
  • Like 1

Here are my observations on the last three versions I have run.

Synscan Pro v2.3.0 (Android) 04/04/2023

This version introduced a landscape mode for the app, which switches in when the device sensors detect a horizontal inclination.

I can’t really see any advantage to this, and for Android in general I disable the landscape flip unless I have a particular need. However, there is a real annoyance in Synscan – the app over-rides the system-wide preference, so it always flips if you tilt the device too far. Nor can you disable this behaviour in the app, either. This is particularly annoying when you’re in the middle of an alignment, the display changes and you hit the wrong button and cause it to exit.

Synscan Pro v2.3.5 (Android) 27/05/2023

This version fixes the landscape flipping issue from 2.3.0.

However, it introduces a different bug: screens that ought to display a list of stars no longer do so. In particular, the alignment process is impossible, making this version unusable.

Synscan Pro v2.3.7 (Android) 01/06/2023

This version fixes the issue with star lists from 2.3.5.

[EDIT: I should have said that all of these were used with an AZ-GTiX mount running 3.36.A5 on the motor board.
That can be important: I've had the same version of the Synscan app work fine with one mount and unusable with another.]

Edited by Zermelo
See comment at end of post
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2023 at 09:48, Zermelo said:

Here are my observations on the last three versions I have run.

Synscan Pro v2.3.0 (Android) 04/04/2023

This version introduced a landscape mode for the app, which switches in when the device sensors detect a horizontal inclination.

I can’t really see any advantage to this, and for Android in general I disable the landscape flip unless I have a particular need. However, there is a real annoyance in Synscan – the app over-rides the system-wide preference, so it always flips if you tilt the device too far. Nor can you disable this behaviour in the app, either. This is particularly annoying when you’re in the middle of an alignment, the display changes and you hit the wrong button and cause it to exit.

Synscan Pro v2.3.5 (Android) 27/05/2023

This version fixes the landscape flipping issue from 2.3.0.

However, it introduces a different bug: screens that ought to display a list of stars no longer do so. In particular, the alignment process is impossible, making this version unusable.

Synscan Pro v2.3.7 (Android) 01/06/2023

This version fixes the issue with star lists from 2.3.5.

[EDIT: I should have said that all of these were used with an AZ-GTiX mount running 3.36.A5 on the motor board.
That can be important: I've had the same version of the Synscan app work fine with one mount and unusable with another.]

Wish I'd known about the bug in 2.3.5 - my first long trip with my recent Goto reflector to a reasonably dark sky was somewhat ruined by being completely unable to get the Goto to work as the lists were empty of any stars!

But I found the landscape orientation is actually quite helpful to having a Goto reflector - if I turn my phone to one of the tow possible landscape ways up, clicking the movement buttons moves the image in the eyepiece in the same direction, ie hit the right button and everything moves right in the eyepiece (though the telescope itself is obviously not moving in that direction). Very handy when trying to centre something, provided the Goto works to get you there in the first place!.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Starfazed said:

Wish I'd known about the bug in 2.3.5 - my first long trip with my recent Goto reflector to a reasonably dark sky was somewhat ruined by being completely unable to get the Goto to work as the lists were empty of any stars!

My comments above all relate to experiences with the new mount I bought recently, but prior to that, I've had several aborted sessions with previous versions on a different mount.
As a result, I'd never set up now without having a fallback APK on my phone for a reliable, previous version.

TBH with my Skywatcher Heq5 pro mount I only use the syncan app to establish connection to the mount with my ipad, then use Skysafari app to control it. I find It easier use Skysafari when using the mount than the synscan app to get targets. 

37 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

TBH with my Skywatcher Heq5 pro mount I only use the syncan app to establish connection to the mount with my ipad, then use Skysafari app to control it. I find It easier use Skysafari when using the mount than the synscan app to get targets. 

I agree, I mainly use Skysafari too, but I align with Synscan, so bugs like the one in 2.3.5 are fatal.

• 5 months later...

Synscan Pro v2.4.10 (Android)

This version has a couple of bugs, noted here.

At the time of writing, this version has yet to be added to the change history. That list mentions four intermediate versions since 2.3.7, for which I did not see updates in the Google Play Store. Among other changes, the history mentions changes to the way that further stars are used to improve goto accuracy.