Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GSO 8" f/5 newtonian, from Agena Astro (loose paint on inside)

Most of it seems pretty good. The springs for primary collimation dont seem great, but I think most people know that. Its finder shoe requires a ton of tightening to make it secure, but it can accept a second screw, optionally. Spider looked good, and it was not bent. Secondary seemed robust, and it is adhered rather than enclosed, so I don't think mirror pinch will be as big of a problem. Bottom ring clamps on too tight, making loosening the rings to rotating the scope very difficult; this makes it poor for visual use.

But the biggest con/issue is the loose paint on the inside. I talked to Agena, who'm talked to GSO, and they say it is not a defect. GSO states it its overspray. So be warned when you get this scope, or get these scopes from Agena, because you will not be able to exchange or use the warranty if it has this paint issue. You may have to void your warranty to fix it. 

20230526_133443.jpg

20230526_133320.jpg

20230526_133258.jpg

20230526_133221.jpg

20230523_170349.jpg

Seems like two of the first things that get changed on GSO reflectors are the primary springs and the secondary screws. 

19 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

Seems like two of the first things that get changed on GSO reflectors are the primary springs and the secondary screws. 

Those items usually get changed on all reflectors. I don't know why manufacturers don't just fit them as standard.

3 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Those items usually get changed on all reflectors. I don't know why manufacturers don't just fit them as standard.

Very much agree 👍

If we bought a new car and then were immediately advised that we would need to put replacement suspension springs on it for it to perform decently well, we would be a trifle miffed !

9 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have had this exact discussion with Orion USA a few months ago.  They could charge accordingly for the proper stuff to be installed, they could and would overcharge for it and we would buy it because now we dont have to do it.  Of course we would call the upgraded springs weak and buy an even stiffer model lol. 

Edited by Mike Q

On 31/05/2023 at 04:43, zernikepolynomial said:

Most of it seems pretty good. The springs for primary collimation dont seem great, but I think most people know that. Its finder shoe requires a ton of tightening to make it secure, but it can accept a second screw, optionally. Spider looked good, and it was not bent. Secondary seemed robust, and it is adhered rather than enclosed, so I don't think mirror pinch will be as big of a problem. Bottom ring clamps on too tight, making loosening the rings to rotating the scope very difficult; this makes it poor for visual use.

But the biggest con/issue is the loose paint on the inside. I talked to Agena, who'm talked to GSO, and they say it is not a defect. GSO states it its overspray. So be warned when you get this scope, or get these scopes from Agena, because you will not be able to exchange or use the warranty if it has this paint issue. You may have to void your warranty to fix it. 

20230526_133443.jpg

20230526_133320.jpg

20230526_133258.jpg

20230526_133221.jpg

20230523_170349.jpg

Review? Have you actually used the scope under the night sky?

I saw your similar post over on Cloudy Nights and I'll repeat what I said there. 'Budget insufficient to meet expectations'

• Like 1

Newtonian always have work in progress in my experience, problem is folks expect an awful lot for very little payment.
The market has driven what we get sold after all.
The old line of Buy cheap, Buy twice applies here.

• Like 1