Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Exposure failure

I have been doing visual since 2012 just started with imaging I have zwo products Asiair plus. 120mm guide cam. And main camera 585mc, using a EQ6 R Pro

I was setting up yesterday and just tried taking an image to see how it all worked with using my iPad and came across an error saying exposure failure this happened all the time and I’m not sure what to do has anyone come across this problem am I doing something wrong?

Hi, some screenshots from within the asiair app may help us. Are you sure the camera was on within the app?

If you set the camera as the guide camera and go into the autoguiding panel, press the button on the RHS which looks like a recycling symbol to set the camera looping, you'll be able to see a live feed of the camera. During the day the exposure will have to be micro seconds otherwise it'll be too bright. You can also achieve a live view if you go into video mode. Alternatively just go into the preview panel which I've assumed you have already and try to take single images.

Both cameras were definitely on as I could see with the app.
Thanks for the information provided I will try it again this evening with the advice given and will get back to you. I’m using the zwo 120mm mc for guiding.
Asi 585mc for main camera on a TS quadruplet telescope. Must admit there is not much information on ZWO website on setups or error codes. 
I will take screenshots within the app if I come across the error 

Edited by Bullmastiff
Spelling mistakes

If you've got some other usb b to a cables I'd also try them, the ones supplied aren't the best. Also just check there's free space in storage, likely it's already empty but something to check.

I’m new to imagining so if I took the asiair away how would I run it through the laptop would I need a specific cable from laptop to eq6 r pro? My idea of using the Asiair plus was to use everything from my shed and not stand outside 

You misinterpret. This is just to test the cameras are working away from the asiair. You use the usb cables provided in the box and just connect from pc to camera, then try them in asi studio software to see if they're working. Its just another suggestion.

Try again via the asiair first to save further work to see if you get the same issue as posted originally, if you do, then try the above to make sure the cameras work as intended.

Of course, I always test indoors before going outside. You can even test gotos if the mount is roughly polar aligned and cross reference with a stellarium app/website to check the scopes going in the right ballpark direction. The only thing you can't do is plate solve or focus on a starfield.

I have just run the test indoors with both cameras using asi studio on laptop through ASILive and they both worked fine, so what does this mean am I doing something wrong with the Asiair plus using my iPad 

Just connect it all up to the air and try it. Nothing to really do with the iPad the issue as it's all managed on the air.

Edited by Elp

Its good that you've found a potential cause, but the usb 3 ports should work regardless, if anything they're better to use than usb 2 due to faster data transfer rate.

I'd suggest trying other cables, if the problem persists I hope you bought it new and can discuss with the vendor.

I had exactly the same problem as you are facing! The problem for me was bad USB 3 cables. I bought the asiair plus unit and the 585mc new and both came with bad cables (they might even be USB 2 cables?). A quick way to tell is plug the USB 3 cable into a USB 2 slot. When I did this it worked. If this is the case just buy a cheap USB 3 cable off of Amazon. 

1 hour ago, CHR15 said:

I had exactly the same problem as you are facing! The problem for me was bad USB 3 cables. I bought the asiair plus unit and the 585mc new and both came with bad cables (they might even be USB 2 cables?). A quick way to tell is plug the USB 3 cable into a USB 2 slot. When I did this it worked. If this is the case just buy a cheap USB 3 cable off of Amazon. 

Definitely go for new usb cables.

But don't go cheap! This is part of the problem.

The cables don't need to be expensive, just good. I'd recommend Lindy.

A Quick update the problem I was having with the asiair plus usb 3.0 ports i bought new usb 3.0 from Amazon and they work fine don’t get exposure failure anymore. This is the link if anyone has same problem,

USB 3.0 Cable A Male to B Male 0.5M, TanQY Type A to B Male Compatible with Hard Disk Drive,Printers,Scanner,USB Hub,Monitor and More.(0.5M/1.5Ft, Red) https://amzn.eu/d/fU1Kd1n

• Like 1