SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Street lighting issues

Hello all.

i have a northerly facing garden which means i get relatively clear views of the northern sky. 

my only issue is that i have a streetlight which is overlooking the east side of my garden and blocks everything out to the east and south. Its not the light itself but the glare that comes off it. 

the pesky light in question is an LED thing which looks brighter than the sun. 

i have tried using filters but still to no avail it beats me. 

just wondered if there is any tried and tested method to beat these pesky street illuminators.

Contact your local authority and ask for a shield to be put on the street lamp. If necessary, tell them it is intruding into a bedroom. I had one fitted within the week.  Alternatively, make a local shield - a tarp nailed between two wooden uprights - you put it up when you are observing. Finally, get a long hood to wear - a bit like this.

John

• Like 2

I fall under Stroud District, and I reported one two weeks ago after finding out you can do so directly through their website. Didn’t even know you could report until I saw a post here.

I actually do have one directly opposite our bedroom window, and it also lights up the back garden … and blocking the southern sky for Astro. They got in contact the following day. They did say that they weren’t permitted to fit a shield (?) but would look to add a dimmer to it. I don’t think it’s been done yet.

This is the link i used, I couldn’t find one for Glos City council but it must exist.

https://www.stroud.gov.uk/report/report-a-faulty-street-light

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Like 1

Council should sort it.  I have one where i decided to put my scope, currently on my 4th report, they have been out 3 times and put a different shields on, unfortunately they did the wrong lamp, thats right, 3 times and the wrong lamp (that side is nice and dark though, and they have put this down to the contractors doing the work not reading the info i have given them).  Had to put a pin on the light within the map they use, with the lamp number and a picture, and if you can point out it is coming into the living room/bedrooms, that will help.  Waiting for them to come out and do the correct lamp still.  Only been 2.5 months since i put the first request in.  

• Like 1

The slightest wind it'll blow over. It would be better to buy a couple of garden spikes for washing lines and concrete them in, add some thick alloy poles from your local metal supplies, the get a local seamstress to stich you a sheet with tube holes in. 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 15:50, wookie1965 said:

Tell me about it I have this in my south which also encroaches into the east. 

Giant candle snuff? 

• Like 1

I have a single LED streetlight that's annoying. When I'm looking west in the Dob it shines in my eye. I have found a solution though:

Pesky streetlight -
DSC_0343_DxO1024.jpg.fff9db2097b2a5c5a725606eaa87ff36.jpg

The Heath Robinson solution -
DSC_0348_DxO1024.jpg.fb7b55b4e6770532f37847c17fae54f2.jpg

• Like 1

They did the same to the one opposite me. I complained again and they managed to put piece of metal nearest the pole. It’s a little bit of an improvement, but not 100% perfect.

IMG_1197.thumb.JPG.f15a4d0daafe96879099dbe9a2e42aab.JPG<— before.

IMG_0020.thumb.JPG.241586db2c52cc04c0c195c5429fe63b.JPG<— after.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 1