Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC4725

Ibbo!

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely. This may well be my favourite galaxy, the one-armed spiral.

It may look a bit blue-heavy on my monitor but, hey-ho, it's lovely.

Olly

Thanks Olly.

That might change in the next process as I am trying to get some Ha to add to it.

Edit

There is not much Ha so I may abandon that idea.

9 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Thanks Olly.

That might change in the next process as I am trying to get some Ha to add to it.

Edit

Measuring you background sky 'per channel' in Ps gives this result:

blue2.JPG.835080adb48ca37195867ad6eceb806e.JPG

Your blue values are almost double the other channels.  This is a check I always perform regularly throughout the processing.

Olly

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2023 at 08:19, ollypenrice said:

Measuring you background sky 'per channel' in Ps gives this result:

blue2.JPG.835080adb48ca37195867ad6eceb806e.JPG

Your blue values are almost double the other channels.  This is a check I always perform regularly throughout the processing.

Olly

Thanks for the info and help Olly.

New process will hopefully be done over the weekend.

Very nice.

On 26/04/2023 at 23:23, Ibbo! said:

That's a bit of a surprise. Your image shows hints of small Ha regions. Adding Ha could really give this image another dimension.

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

Very nice.

That's a bit of a surprise. Your image shows hints of small Ha regions. Adding Ha could really give this image another dimension.

I too was surprised, maybe the conditions were worse than I thought.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

Very nice.

This is a very odd galaxy, having only one spiral arm and a wide, smooth central bulge.  I'm not too surprised to find that it lacks the 'clumping' needed to trigger star formation, though I think, like you, that there are such scattered regions showing already in the image. If the Density Wave theory is correct I wonder how such waves would propagate in a galaxy with a single, almost circular spiral arm.

Olly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

This is a very odd galaxy, having only one spiral arm and a wide, smooth central bulge.  I'm not too surprised to find that it lacks the 'clumping' needed to trigger star formation, though I think, like you, that there are such scattered regions showing already in the image. If the Density Wave theory is correct I wonder how such waves would propagate in a galaxy with a single, almost circular spiral arm.

Olly

I imaged the galaxy two years ago, but only  collected 5 hours of data, and without Ha filter. If only we still had astro darkness up here, I would revisit this target. Maybe next year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gorann said:

I had a quick look at the more recent of the 500+ images there is of this galaxy on Astrobin. Most are only (L)RGB but this one has Ha data and there does not seem to be much Ha in the galaxy:

https://www.astrobin.com/m16gbx/

Oof, that really is a good image. Tiny Ha regions, nicely done, but really not fundamentally different from LRGB.

Olly