Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperions V Televue Naglers

It depends a great deal on the telescope used when assessing the eyepiece. A fast telescope with a steep light-cone will be more demanding of an eyepiece whereas a slow SCT with a light-cone that is long and narrow will look good with almost any eyepiece.
I think that's fair comment. And indeed an "intial condition" that folks (me, this time?) forget to mention. There are personal, counter-intuitive things too. I find my shorter Baader Hyperions harder to use with a MAK. Basically I keep "loosing" the narrow emergent beam in that vast limpid pool of eye-lens. I suspect this is also dependant on stray light, an "unfriendly" observing site etc. So many things can effect the ultimate choice... :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that's fair comment. And indeed an "intial condition" that folks (me, this time?) forget to mention. There are personal, counter-intuitive things too. I find my shorter Baader Hyperions harder to use with a MAK. Basically I keep "loosing" the narrow emergent beam in that vast limpid pool of eye-lens. I suspect this is also dependant on stray light, an "unfriendly" observing site etc. So many things can effect the ultimate choice... :)

I know what you mean by loosing that narrow beam. I think it is due to stray light and my 21mm Hyperion does suffer from this. it's strange because what I considered a inferior to the Hyperion my Tal 25mm does not suffer any light defects like the Hyperion does.

This is one of the main reasons why I want better eyepieces.

I know what you mean by loosing that narrow beam. I think it is due to stray light and my 21mm Hyperion does suffer from this. it's strange because what I considered a inferior to the Hyperion my Tal 25mm does not suffer any light defects like the Hyperion does.

This is one of the main reasons why I want better eyepieces.

Interestingly most of the Naglers and Panoptics have quite small eyelenses - or smaller than I was expecting before I'd used one anyway.

John

• 8 months later...

At the high end of the magnification scale, I have checked out the 36 Hyperion vs. the TMB Paragon 40 mm, on a Celestron C8 and a 16" RC scope at our institute. The Paragon completely blows the Hyperion away. It is one of the most comfortable EPs to work with: no loss of light cone, no kidney-beaning, very good eye relief. Very inexperienced observed (the missus) had no problems at all. The 30 mm also got a good press, but I have not seen it myself.

I am also quite pleased with my Meade 14mm UWA, but have not compared that to a Nagler (looking at the 17 T4). Because I wear glasses, the T4's are most interesting to me

Just my two cents (Euro-zone over here)

• 1 month later...
Hi

was reading your thread from last year and was woundering

Did you get TV eyepiece or Hyperion ? did you ever start ?

Doug Essex :eek:

I believe Mick went for a set of William Optics UWAN's in the end - 90% of the performance of Naglers at significantly less cost.

Archived