NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO AM3 Mount

GoldTop57

15 minutes ago, Doversole said:

The HEM15 is now on sale in the UK.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/harmonic-drive-mounts/ioptron-hem15-mount-without-ipolar.html

at £1159 without the iPolar, it makes it an attractive protable solution, far cheaper than the AM3. Is there something I am missing?

I think one key difference is the fact the AM5/AM3 have strainwave gears on both RA and DEC, while the HEM series from iOptron is a hybrid, with both strainwave (RA) and more traditional worm gears (DEC). Strainwave gears being more expensive, that's probably one of the reasons behind the lower price

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I think the HEM15 is belt drive on the Dec, so backlash should be minimal?

I suppose it means the mount needs to be balanced in DEC which is not a huge constraint.

Its not in stock in the UK yet but due very soon. I wouldn't pay too much attention to ioptron pricing, the price of the hem15 was near enough the same as the hem27 until zwo announced the am3, they quickly slashed their prices. The hem15 is also limited in altitude physically (you can always adjust your tripod to accommodate) but it's 2.5kg Vs 4kg for the mount head Vs the am3, the am3 also operates in alt az mode if you care for it. I think the hem15 is also a bit more power efficient needing slightly less amps.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2023 at 09:58, tonypysm said:

I haven't tested it yet, but I think the guiding accuracy should be similar to HEM27

Have you managed to try the hem15 yet?

On 14/04/2023 at 09:58, tonypysm said:

I haven't tested it yet, but I think th guiding accuracy should be similar to HEM27

Would be interested in its performance considering its size.

Edited by Elp

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

So various comments regarding AM3 vs HEM15 on this thread suggest there ain't that much in it. Could it be that the ZWO fans vs the iOptron fans are the difference? A near neighbour (and imaging friend) has an iOptron tracker with iPolar amd WO Wedge and is likely to upgrade to the HEM15 for a full GoTo with his new WO SpaceCat, ASi120mm guide-scope bundle and ASi585MC camera. We both started out using our star trackers for DSLR imaging and both set-ups are good enough for that. Of course once we got into imaging, we wanted to do more!
I bought a StellaMyra 80mmED F/6.25 with ASiEAF and ASi5895MC camera plus a ASi120MM camera on a 50mm F/4 guide scope. This seems to be right at (maybe even above) the top end of the Star Adventurer's capacity with the counterweight installed as it seems somewhat wobbly. I am leaning towards the AM3, even if it is more expensive, because I have a Star Adventurer 2i which can't carry much load and the EQ Wedge in that setup seems to be the issue. I was considering going to the (cheaper) Star Adventurer GTi but would I be repeating the same errors in buying cheap and frequently? My carbon fibre tripod from 3-legged-thing is rated for 22Kg load so I'm not expecting that to be a problem.
I am more concerned about not repeating purchasing errors. I need something that is portable, quick to set-up and easy use which will see plenty of use. Further house building around here is only going to produce yet more light pollution and we're at Bortle 5 already!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The price difference is a factor. If you don't need the additional benefits the am3 offers, the hem15 is more than good enough.

As a user of both, the am3 is built better, but that's expected as it's much bulkier, slightly heavier and a bit more power hungry.

If you need it, the hem15 has a DC power out socket which zwo have only just put into their am5n whereas ioptron have been doing this cable-less system for years.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to note some of the changes made to the AM3:

• New Bluetooth button
  • Improved Azimuth (no locking levers)
  • Alt scale

From pictures I've seen that makes the 3rd iteration of the AM3, perhaps the next will get the power port changes on the new AM5.

If I am correct the first had Az locking levers, the second lost the locking levers and the third added the Bluetooth button. So anyone looking to buy the AM3 should check the for the Bluetooth button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

Interesting to note some of the changes made to the AM3

Am3 or 5? My 3 already has bluetooth and it's not a new release.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Elp said:

Am3 or 5? My 3 already has bluetooth and it's not a new release.

I'm not saying there is a new version just released. So you have the 3rd iteration based on the images I've seen. Have a look at the images on FLO (and elsewhere), particularly the ones from ZWO and you can find it with/without the AZ levers and with/without Bluetooth. Of course it could mean that the images predate the first launched AM3 and only the 3rd iteration is being sold.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Of course it could mean that the images predate the first launched AM3 and only the 3rd iteration is being sold.

This is likely the case because if you refer to a few YT unboxing videos from 2023 they're all no azimuth locking lever types and BT ones.

Your post coincided with the media embargo reveal of the am5n (of which FLO and wide-screen centre had already uploaded details of earlier than the typical YT video channels) to suggest a change to the am3 which might not be the case for any prospective purchasers. There might just be one version on/in the market or maybe regional variations like some ams had the laser pointer for PA, but not the ones sold here.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 02/07/2024 at 07:34, StevieDvd said:

I'm not saying there is a new version just released. So you have the 3rd iteration based on the images I've seen. Have a look at the images on FLO (and elsewhere), particularly the ones from ZWO and you can find it with/without the AZ levers and with/without Bluetooth. Of course it could mean that the images predate the first launched AM3 and only the 3rd iteration is being sold.

I don’t own one but I do believe that Bluetooth connectivity has been a feature of every AM3 ever sold.  It is possible that some of those other images are pre-production shots that don’t depict actual versions that reached customers’ hands.  Who knows, they could even be designs that were never even built.  

You do have a point though.  From these pictures, it seems that ZWO has sold different versions of the AM3 without announcing the changes. 

Don

Edited by Celerondon
  • Like 1

I'm just trying to let new buyers know what they should be getting now and not an older model (if one was on sale). It was the new AM5 that piqued my interest on the differences on the AM3 - as an AM5 owner I'd not looked at the AM3 in any detail.  

Hopefully, all AM3 sold now will have the same features (just lacking the AM5N power point relocation).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tony Acorn said:

I should be able to tell you StevieDvd, I've just ordered one from our sponsors!

I hope you went for the 'clouds not included version'. 🙂