Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO AM3 Mount

GoldTop57

15 minutes ago, Doversole said:

The HEM15 is now on sale in the UK.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/harmonic-drive-mounts/ioptron-hem15-mount-without-ipolar.html

at £1159 without the iPolar, it makes it an attractive protable solution, far cheaper than the AM3. Is there something I am missing?

I think one key difference is the fact the AM5/AM3 have strainwave gears on both RA and DEC, while the HEM series from iOptron is a hybrid, with both strainwave (RA) and more traditional worm gears (DEC). Strainwave gears being more expensive, that's probably one of the reasons behind the lower price

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I think the HEM15 is belt drive on the Dec, so backlash should be minimal?

I suppose it means the mount needs to be balanced in DEC which is not a huge constraint.

Its not in stock in the UK yet but due very soon. I wouldn't pay too much attention to ioptron pricing, the price of the hem15 was near enough the same as the hem27 until zwo announced the am3, they quickly slashed their prices. The hem15 is also limited in altitude physically (you can always adjust your tripod to accommodate) but it's 2.5kg Vs 4kg for the mount head Vs the am3, the am3 also operates in alt az mode if you care for it. I think the hem15 is also a bit more power efficient needing slightly less amps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2023 at 09:58, tonypysm said:

I haven't tested it yet, but I think the guiding accuracy should be similar to HEM27

Have you managed to try the hem15 yet?

On 14/04/2023 at 09:58, tonypysm said:

I haven't tested it yet, but I think th guiding accuracy should be similar to HEM27

Would be interested in its performance considering its size.

Edited by Elp

• 2 months later...