NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings

CheshireChris

Hello everyone.

My name is Chris, 63 years old and resident in Alderley Edge, Cheshire.

I've had an in interest in Astronomy since l was a youngster; l  had access to a telescope at school but any real viewing over the years has been limited to binoculars. I have the opportunity now to spend more time on astronomy/astrophotography and have started acquiring some h/w to that end.

I already have several Canon DSLR cameras & lenses plus a Sony A-5000 that l can use and recently acquired a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro at a very good price - so that will be my starting point in getting some wide field photography under my belt.

In terms of a telescope l'm finding that the options are staggering to say the least. What l do know is l don't want anything (yet) that is too large and bulky so any sort of reflector is out. I'm leaning towards a compact wide field refractor that could possibly be attached to the Star-Adventurer, although l get that has some weight limitations. Perhaps something l could leave assembled and keep in the garage when not in use. The choices are a bit bewildering to say the least; that, coupled with trying to understand all the jargon associated with the hobby.

Chris

A warm welcome to SGL. If you want any help with the 'jargon' (and yes, there's plenty!) or scope choice, please just ask. You'll get lots of opinions (mostly contradictory.....😄).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been some time since l joined and subsequently did very little other than follow topics in the various forums. A house move and health issues for me and my partner pushed any astronomy aspirations to the background. Hopefully I'm now in a position to rectify that.

I haven't bought a scope and l doubt very much if that will happen for a while yet. Probably something for observation only.

I have been following the developments in EEVA with great interest and am investigating the use of OpenLiveStacker on both Android and Linux. I have a (as yet unused) Skywatcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro & some Canon DSLRs that l plan to try first.

I haven't been totally idle and have implemented 4 cameras for meteor detection that are part of the Global Meteor Network and UKMON.

Chris