SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First try with a barlow

900SL

Quite pleased with my first bash using a barlow

90mm f6, Hyperion Barlow, ASI 178mm

First go with Autostakkert then a bit of work in Lightroom. Welcome any suggestions for a good workflow for stacking AVI files and post processing

2023-04-30-151231-Mars-Bin111.2C_AS_P12_lapl5_ap471_Drizzle15_conv-1.thumb.jpg.1b676cc068ff018b1ba2f74d571558d5.jpg

• Like 5

Possibly the only thing I would do is use the gradient tool to reduce the exposure top left to make the illumination more even. I use that tool in PhotoLab - I'm sure Lightroom would have similar.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Thanks Jetstream. I could get into this lunar lark, much quicker than DSO 😂

Yes, lunar imaging is something I want to try at some point- I have a 224MC sitting here but no drive to get imaging as I'm too busy observing. Your image shows what 90mm of aperture can do, great contrast and sharpness! There is more to get for you though! Great image, not much ringing in the craters at all and great detail in the ejecta. Fantastic sharp jagged wall of the mountain.

You can get more on the back "slide" of Montes Apinninus ... this image bests many many of larger aperture. Congrats again.

Thanks JS, beginners luck!

I'll be trying again on Saturday if the weather forecast holds good. Learned a few things during the first run. Mount was only roughly polar aligned so I had some drift. Also didn't really know what was the best frame size, gain and exposure to use.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2023 at 11:47, 900SL said:

Quite pleased with my first bash using a barlow

90mm f6, Hyperion Barlow, ASI 178mm

First go with Autostakkert then a bit of work in Lightroom. Welcome any suggestions for a good workflow for stacking AVI files and post processing

2023-04-30-151231-Mars-Bin111.2C_AS_P12_lapl5_ap471_Drizzle15_conv-1.thumb.jpg.1b676cc068ff018b1ba2f74d571558d5.jpg

Quite nice for 90mm F6, you could try to stabilize in Pipp. do a quality assortment. Before running into AS/3. It makes AS/3s job a lot easier. And likely more effective. 

• Thanks 1

Second attempt this evening, changed the camera to the 533MC for a better pixel match. Again just stacked and drizzled in AS, no additional processing yet apart from some basic stuff in Affinity

31conv.thumb.jpg.13672a1393f1cdc7a1f651a42f3e1fa9.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 900SL said:

Second attempt this evening, changed the camera to the 533MC for a better pixel match. Again just stacked and drizzled in AS, no additional processing yet apart from some basic stuff in Affinity

31conv.thumb.jpg.13672a1393f1cdc7a1f651a42f3e1fa9.jpg

Again nice capture. Personally I would do greyscale conversion. Get rid of the frac blue green cast. But that's just personal choice. The capture itself is fine. BTW what scope is it. At F6 the optics look pretty good

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Neil, TS CF 90mm F6, FPL 55 triplet with a Baader Hyperion Barlow at around x2.3. AAP is saying focal length is around 1250mm

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 1