Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone unscrewed Stellalyra RA findersope eyepiece?

I recently purchased a Stellalyra right angle findersope.

The crosshairs are oriented as X not + . Usually you can simply turn the eyepiece (unscrew) to change the orientation but this finder eyepiece is stuck fast.

I've asked the retailer but they say they've never tried unscrewing one and don't recommend trying it.

Has anyone unscrewed the Stellalyra RA findersope eyepiece?

My finders crosshairs have a number of orientations - I tend to agree with @Mr Spock, that this does not matter as long as the centre of the X is correctly aligned. You should be able to unscrew the eyepiece section a little from the diagonal body and the cross hairs will rotate with it because they are attached to a reticule within the eyepiece section, set at the focal plane of the eyepiece. If you unscrew the eyepiece section a little you will need to adjust the focus of the finder again which is done at the objective end as you probably know. 

Edited by John

1 minute ago, John said:

My finders crosshairs have a number of orientations - I tend to agree with @Mr Spock, that this does not matter as long as the centre of the X is correctly aligned. You should be able to unscrew the eyepiece section a little from the diagonal body and the cross hairs will rotate with it because they are attached to a reticule set at the focal plane of the eyepiece. If you unscrew the eyepiece section a little you will need to adjust the focus of the finder again which is done at the objective end as you probably know. 

I know that John. I can't unscrew the dang thing 🙂