Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got a restoration job on Tal 1m

stafford_stargazer

I acquired this today for £20.

It's all complete , needs a clean and stuff, but nothing that can't be sorted.

Motor works and come with adapter.

The tube is full of cobwebs and stuff from being left in garage for a few years, but luckily the mirrors look fine apart from the webs and dust.

If there knackered I will get re aluminised.

But initial inspection looks good.

Think I'm going to like this one, the mount is rock steady .

Any tips appreciated.

Gary.

PXL_20230318_125008024.jpg

PXL_20230318_125010988.jpg

PXL_20230318_125013721.jpg

PXL_20230318_125040868.jpg

PXL_20230318_125044407.jpg

PXL_20230318_125054664.jpg

PXL_20230318_125407199.jpg

• Like 4

Wow that is one heck of a bargain as Mark says. They're rock solid scopes and with luck the mirrors will be fine, they seem to last a long time. Is it equipped with the later 1-1/4 focuser and eyepieces as that'd make things a lot easier if you want to try others later on.

Astrobaby did an overhaul of the non-motorised one if you want any sort of a DIY guide. Good luck and have fun with it 🙂 

• Like 1

I used to have one of these - the non motor version. Great scope and solid mount.
Unlike the jelly/plastic mounts supplied with certain modern scopes😲

Just one word of caution. The (non original) mains transformer is very old and has unknown storage history.
It may have moisture absorbed into insulation, etc. It is though a good known UK brand.
If you know someone who can carry out an insulation check (for a beer not full money) that would be a good idea.
I would offer, but I'm a bit far away.

Hope you enjoy the scope, David.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Wow that is one heck of a bargain as Mark says. They're rock solid scopes and with luck the mirrors will be fine, they seem to last a long time. Is it equipped with the later 1-1/4 focuser and eyepieces as that'd make things a lot easier if you want to try others later on.

Astrobaby did an overhaul of the non-motorised one if you want any sort of a DIY guide. Good luck and have fun with it 🙂 

My 1.25in eyepeice seem to fit snug..it's a 1996 one so hopefully it's a 1/1/4.😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I used to have one of these - the non motor version. Great scope and solid mount.
Unlike the jelly/plastic mounts supplied with certain modern scopes😲

Just one word of caution. The (non original) mains transformer is very old and has unknown storage history.
It may have moisture absorbed into insulation, etc. It is though a good known UK brand.
If you know someone who can carry out an insulation check (for a beer not full money) that would be a good idea.
I would offer, but I'm a bit far away.

Hope you enjoy the scope, David.

Thanks for the comments,  shame your too far 😉 but it does work.. even if it failed for £20 I'll move it manually lol.👍

Edited by stafford_stargazer