SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

remote viewing

Hi i've started using a remote telescope, its in the canaries somewhere.    I hardly go on it as i never know what images i want to take.    I do want to use it more often, how do i plan an evenings observing?   i live in north wales in the uk and the remote telescope is on the island of Le Palma in the canaries.I can't say what can be seen there so how do i plan what i want to observe there?   thanks.

Ash

You could do with a planetarium app on your phone or tablet, you can set your location and it will show you the night sky so you can plan what to observe. You can skip forward through time to plan ahead too. I use SkySafari and thoroughly recommend it.

• Like 1

Ash

I use a remote site based in the canaries (and also in Chile). IF it's the same one as you then they have loads of quests that you can participate in that will give you an idea of the sort of objects to observe.

As others said you can use Stellarium or similar and change the location to that of Tenerife. 

Conveniently the Canary Islands are in the same time zone as the UK so a lot of suggestions of objects to view in the UK will work for there too (especially those that are quite low down in the south in the UK). 

• 2 weeks later...

I found the book 'The 100 Best Astrophotography Targets' a good place to start. List the ones that interest you then play with your app (I like Skysafari Pro on my iPad) and fast forward thought the year with the Canaries as your location to see when your target is in the best position.