SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing help

Hi I'm Ash I've posted on here before but it was a while ago.   I'm a wheelchair user from Wales in the UK   I have started using a remote telescope to capture images.  Is that what remote telescopes do just capture images?  I have got the book Turn left at orion 100 things to look attheough a small  telescope.  Should I use whatever the book tells me to look at and use the online telescope to view it; such as messier and messier A on the moon?

• Like 2

I live in a cul de sac, we have street light and the skies are hardly clear.   I cant go out at night because the cold weather affects my disability.    That's why i asked about viewing though a remote telescope and whether i should look at things suggested in my book.,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alecras2345 said:

I have started using a remote telescope to capture images.  Is that what remote telescopes do just capture images? 

What else would you like them to do? There are some services that offer live streaming of images from a remote scope (which I guess is what you are using), but they are mostly for people who want to image from a location where there are better skies and more clear nights. They may also be used as a means of renting some imaging time on a telescope that would otherwise be unaffordable.

There's a summary of some other online services here:  https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/skills/how-use-remote-telescope-astrophotography/

Remote observing is a different experience to viewing an object through the eyepiece - and you are observing in a manner closer to a professional astronomer than an amateur one! With remote observing you also don't have to worry about staying up late - just choose a telescope in a location where it is currently night!

• Like 1

Even with bad light pollution, there is a lot you can see with a simple telescope and you don't have to stay out long.
For example in the past few days Jupiter, Venus and the moon have lined up nicely in the evening sky.
All are bright so get through the urban glare.
Later on Orion is well placed. A telescope looking around the belt, sword and nebula give great views.

The reason I mention these objects is they can be viewed quickly (before you get cold) using a simple scope that is quick to set up and take back inside.
If you have a solid garden table, or even a wall at resonable height, it is a good place for a scope. Easier than a tripod on the ground.

Ways to keep warm are another matter.  But layers, woolly hat and gloves are good starters.

HTH, David.

3 hours ago, alecras2345 said:

I suppose what im asking is, i dont know what different object to observe, should i use objects in my book to observe in the remote telescope?

It's a good starting point, and if you are using a reference book it will give you some background as to what you  are looking at. Beyond that have a read around and see what interests you - I like the monthly pullout section in the 'Sky at Night' magazine that tells you what's good to look at for the month. You can get some of this on the free email service and general astronomy websites as well.

Hi Ash. If you haven't already done this I would recommend downloading a planetarium programme such as Stellarium or an app like Sky Safari (for tablet).  Once you get either running set your home location as the latitude and longitude of your remote site. Once you have done this the programme will show you the night sky hour by hour and you can see what objects are available for that night's session. Sky Safari will give you a suggested viewing list each night.  You might want to start by going for for some of the easier targets such as Andromeda, M45 and M42.  Once you get you han dit with these you could try chasing down some of the star clusters.  The BBC Sky at Night magazine publishes a monthly viewing guide, that may provide some inspiration as well. 

https://stellarium.org/

https://skysafariastronomy.com/

Jim 

Edited by saac